Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

14 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Jailbreak Troubles HELP !!!

ok so i have an iphone 4 that was not jailbroken and is still carrier locked i could not get past the activation screen because i did not have an at&t sim card so posted on here and was told that in order to get past the activation screen i should run redsn0w so i DL redsn0w and the firmware 4.1 for my iphone for a ran everything and got all the way through to the point where the pinnapple on my phone but it wont reboot and now it doesnt even go to the activation screen anymore it just gets stuck on the boot up apple and doest do anything i am getting very pissed at this damn phone if someone could please help me i would greatly appreciate it

P.S. i ve been doing all this without any sim card if that makes a difference
    iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

There's no reason to get pissed at the phone, it's hardware it's doing what it's been programmed to do. Did you buy the phone used? Do you know which firmware is on the phone? 4.1, 4.2??? as far as I know and I could be wrong the baseband for 4.2 can't be unlocked(allows you to use a non AT&T sim)

Go here iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone read the Jailbreak section and also the unlock section.

The fact that you said the phone wont boot leads me to believe that it has 4.2 which means you need to boot tethered in order for the Jailbeak to work but that still wont unlock the phone. In order to unlock the phone, again I could be wrong because I haven't followed unlocking in a long time but I beleive you need to start out inn 4.1 on the iPhone 4. Then you move to 4.2 without upgrading the baseband so it retains the 4.1 baseband allowing you to remain unlocked. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct this if I am.
    iPhone Beginner

87 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Yep, the pineapple indicates that the iPhone has been jailbroken already. Rerun redsnow and select "boot tethered". The problem is detecting which firmware has been installed. You can try and use TinyUmbrella to detect the firmware installed on your iPhone 4 because you need to download the firmware to which to point redsn0w to.