What to do about a replacement phone?

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a iPhone 4, bought it the day of release and my 'sleep' button stopped working on me the other day. I am jailbroken running 4.1 (8B117), but need to have my phone replaced.

My question is: If I take my phone into the apple store and have it replaced, it will come with the latest firmware, so what do I do about jailbreaking it? If I have to hold off until there is a new jailbreak, I will, but even then will I be able to jailbreak it?

Any input would be great!
Thanks in advance!

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It would be a toss up, most likely its gonna come preloaded with 4.2.1, but you might luck out and get one with 4.1, but I highly doubt it at this point. Your only option if it comes loaded with 4.2.1 is to either do a tethered JB with redsnow, or wait until an untethered JB is released for 4.2.1. But honestly, the tethered redsnow JB isn't as bad as you think.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It would be a toss up, most likely its gonna come preloaded with 4.2.1, but you might luck out and get one with 4.1, but I highly doubt it at this point. Your only option if it comes loaded with 4.2.1 is to either do a tethered JB with redsnow, or wait until an untethered JB is released for 4.2.1. But honestly, the tethered redsnow JB isn't as bad as you think.

Thanks for the quick reply!!
Sorry for the 'rookie' questions, but what is 'tethered' and 'untethered'?

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
A tethered JB means that each time your phones dies, gets shut off or needs a reboot, it will have to be done using redsnow via your computer. An untethered JB allows you to turn off your phone, reboot it anytime anywhere without the assistance of redsnow or your computer. Both perform the same things, just have different methods when rebooting and such.

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
A tethered JB means that each time your phones dies, gets shut off or needs a reboot, it will have to be done using redsnow via your computer. An untethered JB allows you to turn off your phone, reboot it anytime anywhere without the assistance of redsnow or your computer. Both perform the same things, just have different methods when rebooting and such.

Seems like a hassle with the tethered jailbreak, I have to reboot my phone at least once a day due to the springboard crashing (and I only use a few JB apps) and no themes or anything like that. I'd be afraid my phone would need a reboot and I wouldn't be around my computer.

Are they working on an untethered jailbreak for the current firmware (4.2.1)?

Its just horrible not having a sleep button but I will live with it in order to keep it jailbroken to run MyWi and iBlacklist.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711