Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Default AT&T wants me to go to 4.2

I am jailbroken on 4.1 and have been since that jailbreak was available. Out of nowhere, I got a text message from AT&T as follows:

"AT&T Free Msg: An important software update is available for your iPhone. To update to iOS 4.2, connect to iTunes and follow the instructions."

Thank you but NO thank you.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I got the same message today as well. But I'm ALREADY on 4.2.1.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wow, that is really weird.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

LOL maybe AT&T is reaching out to customers to show you they care and make sure you don't jump ship
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    LOL maybe AT&T is reaching out to customers to show you they care and make sure you don't jump ship
    Or maybe they are trying to slyly get you to update and lose your jailbreak.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I should add that I'm also on the redsn0w 4.2 JB.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't think it's about losing jailbreak, in fact I don't think that AT&T even cares about that. If you pay their monthly fee I think that's all they care about.

I have a feeling this is more about AT&T keeping customers "up to date". If my fiancee didn't have me, she'd NEVER update her phone. She never connects it to iTunes, never does a backup, I do it for her. She didn't even know you could do it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other people out there like that.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

I don't think it's about jailbreaking.

It's about support. If someone brings their phone into a store, it's so much easier to fix if the software is up to date. The same reason Apple upgrades phones brought into the Genius Bar for help.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    I don't think it's about losing jailbreak, in fact I don't think that AT&T even cares about that. If you pay their monthly fee I think that's all they care about.

I have a feeling this is more about AT&T keeping customers "up to date". If my fiancee didn't have me, she'd NEVER update her phone. She never connects it to iTunes, never does a backup, I do it for her. She didn't even know you could do it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other people out there like that.
    Same with my fiance, her apps would never get updated, or her OS either if I didnt do it for her.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,192 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post

completely agree with this statement. At&t just wants their money. And JB'ing isnt even illegal and doesnt void warranty anyways
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,053 Global Posts

Doesn't this imply that they can monitor how your iPhone is setup? If they can tell you don't have the latest OS, what else can they determine?
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Doesn't this imply that they can monitor how your iPhone is setup? If they can tell you don't have the latest OS, what else can they determine?
    Yeah. They can even turn the camera on remotely without you knowing it.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,394 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It has nothing to do with anything other than AT&T letting you know there is an update out for your iPhone. I've gotten them a number of times when an iOS update comes out. It's an easy way to get the word out, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple played a small roll getting them to do it.