AT&T wants me to go to 4.2

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I am jailbroken on 4.1 and have been since that jailbreak was available. Out of nowhere, I got a text message from AT&T as follows:

"AT&T Free Msg: An important software update is available for your iPhone. To update to iOS 4.2, connect to iTunes and follow the instructions."

Thank you but NO thank you.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's about losing jailbreak, in fact I don't think that AT&T even cares about that. If you pay their monthly fee I think that's all they care about.

I have a feeling this is more about AT&T keeping customers "up to date". If my fiancee didn't have me, she'd NEVER update her phone. She never connects it to iTunes, never does a backup, I do it for her. She didn't even know you could do it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other people out there like that.

deferom

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's about jailbreaking.

It's about support. If someone brings their phone into a store, it's so much easier to fix if the software is up to date. The same reason Apple upgrades phones brought into the Genius Bar for help.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's about losing jailbreak, in fact I don't think that AT&T even cares about that. If you pay their monthly fee I think that's all they care about.

I have a feeling this is more about AT&T keeping customers "up to date". If my fiancee didn't have me, she'd NEVER update her phone. She never connects it to iTunes, never does a backup, I do it for her. She didn't even know you could do it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of other people out there like that.

Same with my fiance, her apps would never get updated, or her OS either if I didnt do it for her.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

completely agree with this statement. At&t just wants their money. And JB'ing isnt even illegal and doesnt void warranty anyways

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Doesn't this imply that they can monitor how your iPhone is setup? If they can tell you don't have the latest OS, what else can they determine?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It has nothing to do with anything other than AT&T letting you know there is an update out for your iPhone. I've gotten them a number of times when an iOS update comes out. It's an easy way to get the word out, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple played a small roll getting them to do it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711