Can a NEW iPhone with iOS 4.2.1 be teethered Jailbroken?

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am one that is taking this Jailbreak very slowly. I switched over from a blackberry to iPhone 4 back in November and REALLY LOVE the iPhone 4. I consider myself very PC knowledgeable and have been reading about the Jailbreak options for the past few months. I am satisfied with the current state of the iPhone 4 but would really love to have the option to use MiWi hotspot so my daughter can connect with her iPod or laptop while traveling on the road. After seeing the Verizon Hotspot being offered today, I am hoping it will come to us in a new release of iOS. But I am itching to try this jailbreak. I was hoping someone could help explain something for me. Once again, this is a new iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1. If I want to try this Tethered version of Jailbreaking, do I need the shsh blobs i keep reading about, or is it even possible since I don't have previous shsh blobs? And what exactly is shsh blobs? Thanks - Ron -<><

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
You can use Redsnow to tethered JB 4.2.1. Note, with a tethered JB, you must use Redsnow everytime to be able to bootup the phone.

As for SHSH, they are security checks to allow or deny you the ability to restore with a firmware. Since Apple only allows you to install the current version (4.2.1), you must have saved old SHSH files to trick iTunes into allowing you to restore with older firmwares. SHSH files are unique to each iPhone and firmware version. And, what SHSH files you can save has nothing to do with what firmware your phone is currently running, you what's Apple is signing / sending out.

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So since I have a new phone with no older firmware to restore to, then I just need to save my shsh files for future restores? Is this correct? Would you kindly let me know which is a good vesion as of today for redsnow?

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Saving current and future SHSH files are a must. That why you can always restore to whatever firmware you have SHSH files saved. To do that, download and run Tinyumbrella.

Just download latest version of Redsnow to JB 4.2.1. Get it here: Dev-Team Blog

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks,
I downloaded TinyUmbrella, saved my SHSH files.
Downloaded redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 and a copy of 4.2.1 IPSW
I successfully Jailbroke my iPhone, installed Cydia, MiWi and other programs and got them to work successfully.

I noticed my bluetooth does not work and have been reading that this is a known isssue. I then saw a 0.9.7b5 release of redsn0w that seems to have the bluetooth bug fixed. Is this the latest release? My question is:
If I want to use a new version of redsn0w, do I just run the new version and choose the option to "Just boot teethered" or do I have to choose some other option?
----- update----
Ok after reading more on this, I think this is a Beta version released only for Mac's and beta testers, but I would still like to know when I run a newer version of redsn0w, will I have to do anything special, or just run it and choose boot teethered?

Last edited:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks,
I downloaded TinyUmbrella, saved my SHSH files.
Downloaded redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 and a copy of 4.2.1 IPSW
I successfully Jailbroke my iPhone, installed Cydia, MiWi and other programs and got them to work successfully.

I noticed my bluetooth does not work and have been reading that this is a known isssue. I then saw a 0.9.7b5 release of redsn0w that seems to have the bluetooth bug fixed. Is this the latest release? My question is:
If I want to use a new version of redsn0w, do I just run the new version and choose the option to "Just boot teethered" or do I have to choose some other option?
----- update----
Ok after reading more on this, I think this is a Beta version released only for Mac's and beta testers, but I would still like to know when I run a newer version of redsn0w, will I have to do anything special, or just run it and choose boot teethered?

You installed the beta untethered jailbreak from the sounds of it. When they release a newer version you will have to restore then re jailbreak for best results.

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
When you say restore, do you mean connect to iTunes and restore? Will this not clear my saved data, such as high scores on games, levels beaten on Angry birds, etc...

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
As long as you back up before you restore all of your data will be saved in the back up.

Last edited:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
When you say restore, do you mean connect to iTunes and restore? Will this not clear my saved data, such as high scores on games, levels beaten on Angry birds, etc...

It will temporarily clear that data. As long as you have it run a backup of your phone prior to doing a restore you can restore your phone from that backup once its done.

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks, yall have really helped me understand a lot. I re-synced my iPhone and backed it up this morning. So if a new redsn0w comes available, I should:

1: connect to iTunes
2: Click on Restore under the Version menu
3: Right click my iPhone in the side bar and choose Restore from backup.
4: Then run the new redsn0w

is this Correct?

Bull

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, yall have really helped me understand a lot. I re-synced my iPhone and backed it up this morning. So if a new redsn0w comes available, I should:

1: connect to iTunes
2: Click on Restore under the Version menu
3: Right click my iPhone in the side bar and choose Restore from backup.
4: Then run the new redsn0w

is this Correct?

You are correct.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Maybe. There were rumors that the untethered version of redsn0w may be able to convert you over from a tethered state to an untethered state without restoring, i hope this is true, but at this time is just a rumor.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2