To Jailbreak or not to jailbreak that is the...???

tibbi64

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got a new Ipod 4th Gen touch. which replaced my 3rd gen. I have read a little about jailbreaking. I want to use my ipod to make calls and play my games mostly. I have a mifi with verizon wireless so I will have wifi where ever I go. :) I love my mifi, they are free right now. Anyway I was wondering if yall could give me some reasons/features why I should or should not. My only worried about not being able to sync with itunes or downloading new paid apps. I also have a rooted htc incredible.

Thanks, Tiffany :p

Cordishead

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
You can sync with iTunes, you just can't backup jailbroken apps in iTunes, and you can't upgrade your OS. You can still download paid apps with no problem. Jailbreaking makes the phone much more useful and customizable.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Like stated above, you can still sync with itunes, and you can upgrade your OS still, but it will remove your jailbreak. Its not that you can never update again, its that if you want to keep your jailbreak you shouldn't update OS's until a jailbreak for the OS is created. And yes, if you do jailbreak, there are many apps out there that you can install that will let you make calls from the ipod, the only downside is you have to have headphones with the built in mic when you want to talk.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I just got a new Ipod 4th Gen touch. which replaced my 3rd gen. I have read a little about jailbreaking. I want to use my ipod to make calls <snip>

Um, without a 3rd party physical add-on (from China, I believe), you won't be able to make calls on an ipod.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Liquidzoo, you can get apps once jailbroken on the iPod to make calls. I watch my neighbors son do it all the time.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Truphone

Jajah - allows sending and receiving of both calls and SMS

[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-voice/id318698524?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Google Voice[/URL]

This is just to name a few, there are other apps in Cydia that allow this to happen as well.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Learn something new every day.

I didn't think you could do that since there isn't a mic built into the ipod (unless I'm wrong about that too, my only experience with them is my son's ipt-1g)

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No there is no built in mic so they will need the headphones with the built in mic to use the iPod as a phone.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I beleive the third and 4th gen Touch has a microphone or it can use it from the iPhone headphones just like the iPad. The user could also use Skype if they have Mifi and a Skype account the can call and receive calls. Thanks for the heads up JDavis gonna try that on my iPad.OP JB a device is an even easier concern when the device has no phone component. You may need to use a tethered JB depending on the firmware your Touch is running which is a bit of a pain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711