3GS 4.2.1 Jailbreak now or wait?

Player1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I'm new to jailbreak and I own an IPhone 3GS (6 months old).
is it worth Jailbreaking with the tethered version or waiting for a non beta untethered version?

Any advise would be most welcome

Thx

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It seems as if the untethered version should be released very soon, but you never know. I guess it all depends on how bad do you want to jailbreak at this moment? Do you want it bad? (thats what she said......lol) Or do you not mind waiting. The tethered jailbreak isnt really that much of a pain.

Reactions: Player1

Player1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Lol, I have no problem waiting however I do hope very soon equates to sometime in January.
As a newbie in jailbreaking I hope the untethered version is achieved via single process and not having to first JB tethered and then second process to complete untetherd install.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well they are in the beta stages of testing, so thats better than nothing. I heard that this untethered JB is suppose to convert you from tethered to untethered. Not sure if it will require you to be tethered first, but for those of us that are already tethered, that would be great.

Player1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
What happens if it doesn't convert tethered to untetherd, will you have to restore back to normal before JB again?

And if you are correct regarding the new version I might as well JB now using the tetherd version.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If it doesn't convert, i will back my phone up to itunes, transfer all my apps to itunes, make a list of my cydia apps (i know there are apps to do this, but I choose to do it this way), restore to factory 4.2.1, rejailbreak with the untethered reload all my apps, reinstall all cydias apps then restore from a back up.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
It has been mentioned in comments that it will require a rerun of redsn0w to convert but who knows. They are shooting for easy at any rate.

Player1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting, I didn't know you could still use iTunes to backup your device whilst it was jail broken.

One other thing that you could clarify is, after you reload your apps and Cydia apps you will perform a restore from backup.

Are you saying that after the Jailbreak I can still perform a restore from backup via ITunes?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes after a JB you can restore from a backup. The JB is just an altered firmware aka operating system while the backup is just settings and app data. The backup has nothing to do with the operating system.

Player1

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Ahh now I'm getting the picture.

Thx for clarifying this.

I really should have made the time to research JB when I first got my IPhone. I think due to the high cost of the unit, I didn't want to take any risks however from the brief time that I've been a member of this forum I've learned that there is only a slight risk of any real damage to the device if I JB it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh