iOS 4.2.1 redsn0w untethered Jailbreak beta test troubleshooting

Georgia

iMore Prime
Feb 15, 2010
www.tipb.com
redsn0w iOS 4.2.1 untethered Jailbreak “backup plan” released to beta testers [updated] | TiPb

Looks like people are having some trouble with the redsn0w beta test Jailbreak. I'm not even going to lie, I'm sticking with 4.1 for now. If you're trying it out and having trouble, post in the thread below and we'll try to troubleshoot!

Here are some of the known issues:

- Bluetooth is disabled
- iPod player not working on iPhone 4 and iPad
- Application switcher causing the springboard to crash
- YouTube is not working for many
- Videos in your camera roll may not play at all
- AirPlay not compatible
- Some app store apps are crashing or not working at all

How's it going for you?

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
usbmuxd - help installing

I've tried to install usbmuxd but have had very little success. Can someone provide a simple walkthrough on getting that going?

UPDATE: I finally got things working properly. I was missing a simple part of the command!

Last edited:

BhamBB

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Tethered vs untethered

Can someone please explain this tethered vs untethered jailbreak? I am a newbie to jailbreaking and am awaiting the jailbreak for 4.2.1. What do i need to do? Thanks in advance

Greengold

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
My iPad is bricked! Did the jailbreak. Downloaded winterboard and after install it asked to reboot. I did, now all I get is apple logo. Help.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain this tethered vs untethered jailbreak? I am a newbie to jailbreaking and am awaiting the jailbreak for 4.2.1. What do i need to do? Thanks in advance

My iPad is bricked! Did the jailbreak. Downloaded winterboard and after install it asked to reboot. I did, now all I get is apple logo. Help.

These are related. Tethered means you must rerun redsn0w every reboot, the option you are looking for is "just boot tethered right now".

If you don't boot tethered on a tethered jailbreak it either won't boot (stuck at apple logo) or it will boot w/o jailbreak (white cydia icon). Depends on what mobile substrate things are installed to decide which you get but basically activator or SBsettings or winter board = no boot on tethered jail broken devices.

This is why everyone wants an untethered jailbreak (the subject of this thread)

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I didn't really want to HiJack this thread but I have to ask why do people JB withou knowing what they are doing? Arghh it's so frustrating and adds to the useless points Team Pure folks bring up as why not to JB. They will say the device is bricked when it really isn't or battery life sucks because they are using a crazy ass theme with a bajillion things running in the background and lockinfo set to a micro second for update. There are threads in this very forum with the info, I'm not flaming anyone in particular so no one should take it personally it is just an observation slash ponderance.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I didn't really want to HiJack this thread but I have to ask why do people JB withou knowing what they are doing? Arghh it's so frustrating and adds to the useless points Team Pure folks bring up as why not to JB. They will say the device is bricked when it really isn't or battery life sucks because they are using a crazy ass theme with a bajillion things running in the background and lockinfo set to a micro second for update. There are threads in this very forum with the info, I'm not flaming anyone in particular so no one should take it personally it is just an observation slash ponderance.

it is frustrating, i agree. people that go into blindly jack-up their devices and then come here, and A LOT of other places i go, and create unnecessary threads that eventually push down the ones that truly need to be there

i did as much researching as possible before i went to the tethered jb and even then i ran into snags but i chose to google and search for my answers. they're out there trust me

i don't know.. it'll always be this way no matter how much we dislike it

Arghh it's so frustrating and adds to the useless points Team Pure folks bring up as why not to JB. They will say the device is bricked when it really isn't or battery life sucks because they are using a crazy ass theme with a bajillion things running in the background and lockinfo set to a micro second for update.

quoted for truth!

ronmcse

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Going Slowly

Hi, I am one that is taking this Jailbreak very slowly. I switched over from a blackberry to iPhone 4 back in November and REALLY LOVE the iPhone 4. I consider myself very PC knowledgeable and have been reading about the Jailbreak options for the past few months. I am satisfied with the current state of the iPhone 4 but would really love to have the option to use MiWi hotspot so my daughter can connect with her iPod or laptop while traveling on the road. After seeing the Verizon Hotspot being offered today, I am hoping it will come to us in a new release of iOS. But I am itching to try this jailbreak. I was hoping someone could help explain something for me. Once again, this is a new iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1. If I want to try this Tethered version of Jailbreaking, do I need the shsh blobs i keep reading about, or is it even possible since I don't have previous shsh blobs? And what exactly is shsh blobs? Thanks - Ron -<><

Artstar

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
You can certainly do the tethered jailbreak on a fresh iPhone4 with 4.2.1. It's the untethered jailbreak that is not possible without the 4.2b3 SHSH blobs at the moment.

Makes me wish I was able to buy my iPhone4 earlier. Still, tethered isn't all that bad as long as the battery doesn't run low or the phone crashes. :)

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If I do the tethered, what happens when I install some app with Cydia, and it tells me that I need to reboot or restart springboard.
Does that mean I have to hook up to my PC?

Also, I read here that Apple is checking the baseband to block unlocking. The unlock is the most important thing to me. Will I still have the ability to unlock in 4.2 with the tethered JB?

TFausett

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I'm new to the world of jail breaking. What does it mean by untethered jailbreak? Does that mean you just can't do tethering with this jailbreak?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2