Fixing my tethered JB so it will boot on it's own

sduck

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi - I have an iphone 4, running 4.2.1 and it's jailbroken via redsnow, so it's the tethered jailbreak. So far, so good, no problems yet. However, somewhere along the way it lost the ability to reboot without doing the redsnow tethered boot thing - some app or apps I installed via cydia have caused a problem. I read somewhere that there are some apps that access the filesystem that cause this, and would like to remove them if possible - does anyone know which ones might be the culprit? I have ifile, openSSH, MyWi, Barrel, and MxTube installed. I'd like to make it so the phone will boot at least useably untethered if needed - currently it won't. :confused:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Hi - I have an iphone 4, running 4.2.1 and it's jailbroken via redsnow, so it's the tethered jailbreak. So far, so good, no problems yet. However, somewhere along the way it lost the ability to reboot without doing the redsnow tethered boot thing - some app or apps I installed via cydia have caused a problem. I read somewhere that there are some apps that access the filesystem that cause this, and would like to remove them if possible - does anyone know which ones might be the culprit? I have ifile, openSSH, MyWi, Barrel, and MxTube installed. I'd like to make it so the phone will boot at least useably untethered if needed - currently it won't. :confused:

Has nothing to do with your apps. 4.2.1 is a tethered jailbreak. Until an untethered JB is released, you will always need to tether on reboots.

sduck

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
When I first JB'd my phone, I was able to reboot it normally without it being tethered. Somewhere along the way - I didn't add any apps the first few days, so I'm sure it was caused by one of the apps I added - I lost the ability to reboot untethered. So, any ideas about which app caused this?

To make this clearer, when I was able to reboot untethered, I still didn't have any of the JB functionality - I.E. no cydia, of course. And I don't expect that - I'm just looking for a reliable way to get the phone functional IF I need to reboot while I'm away from my computer. I'll try uninstalling packages and see what happens if no-one has any ideas - maybe i'll find the culprit.

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
When I first JB'd my phone, I was able to reboot it normally without it being tethered. Somewhere along the way - I didn't add any apps the first few days, so I'm sure it was caused by one of the apps I added - I lost the ability to reboot untethered. So, any ideas about which app caused this?

To make this clearer, when I was able to reboot untethered, I still didn't have any of the JB functionality - I.E. no cydia, of course. And I don't expect that - I'm just looking for a reliable way to get the phone functional IF I need to reboot while I'm away from my computer. I'll try uninstalling packages and see what happens if no-one has any ideas - maybe i'll find the culprit.

Ohhhhh... I see... my mistake. MyWi and Barrel are probably the culprits. But almost any app that uses mobilesubstrate or hooks onto the springboard will cause your boot to fail. Also safari wont work from the get go.

sduck

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Yes, my best guess is that it's MyWi, and that's about the only app that makes jailbreaking worthwhile. And probably just uninstalling it isn't going to clean out everything, so I'll have to consider if I want to restore or not.