[JAILBREAK HELP] Upgraded to 4.2.1 without saving SHSH blobs?

iLukeKendall

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm semi-new to this jailbreaking stuff, and wondered if you kind people could help me out a bit?

I jailbroke my iPod Touch a few weeks ago to test it out, before doing it to my iPhone 3G S. After liking the new features it offered me, I then decided to wait until 4.2.1 was released, and then to jailbreak my iPhone 3G S.

As soon as 4.2.1 was released through iTunes, I updated my iPhone to 4.2.1, and set about looking for a jailbreak, which, at the time, I couldn't find.

Today, I found the relevant jailbreak, and tested out the 'upgrading' on my iPod Touch first. As it was a second gen, it worked perfectly, and I did back up the SHSH blobs for 4.1 through TinyUmbrella, as I assumed that this meant the app data of Cydia apps was backed up... which appears I was wrong about.

When I set about jailbreaking my iPhone, I checked the serial number, and it appeared that it was the old-bootrom device, however when I began to exploit it with redsn0w, it turned out that it was a newer-bootrom, meaning that I am now stuck with a tethered jailbroken iPhone... which sucks.

After reading into whether or not this will become untethered at any point, I discovered that all over the web they suggest that you back up 4.1 SHSH blobs first, which obviously, I didn't do, as at the time of upgrading I didn't really understand what they were.

I'm now worried that I'm stuck with a tethered iPhone. Is it possible that I may be able to re-jailbreak to an untethered state without needing the SHSH blobs for 4.1 when the jailbreak is released?

Please help me!

Many thanks,
Luke

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
This needs to be in the jb forum, not here. And yes, it's possible you may be stuck tethered. Never upgrade until the all clear is given by the dev team.

iLukeKendall

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This needs to be in the jb forum, not here. And yes, it's possible you may be stuck tethered. Never upgrade until the all clear is given by the dev team.

Apologies for posting it in the wrong place... this is my first time here on TiPb.

Anyway, I booted up Cydia, and I noticed SHSH: 4.1 in green at the top, so I connected it, ran TinyUmbrella and it seems to have saved the 4.1 SHSH now. I don't have a clue how Cydia knew to save it... my iPhone has never been jailbroken before.

Oh well... looks like I'm set for untethered now.

Thanks for your help.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73