Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

6 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Unlocked iP4 - 32GB - Should I Jailbreak?

This week I picked up an UNLOCKED iPhone 4 - 32GB (Version 4.1 (8B117) from an Apple store here in Canada. I paid full retail for the phone and was not forced into signing a long-term contract with my carrier (Telus). I did this because my wife and I do a fair bit of travelling and I wanted to be able to swap out SIM Cards wherever we travel (U.S. & Overseas).

So, do I 'need' to jailbreak my phone? In a previous life, I was a Programmer/Analyst and have always tweaked my computers to perform better/faster. So far, I like the phone and don't see a need to jailbreak it, but that may change in the future.

More importantly, if I do jailbreak it, will it still be unlocked? If I have to restore it in the future, will it become locked or remain unlocked?

iMore Intermediate

199 Posts

If you want to:

- change event sounds
    - access fs to manipulate various aspects
    - have notifications Bb style in the statusbar
    - have gesture based hotkeys
    - have sbsettings to have access to key settings with a tap or a gesture

Then you need to jb

There is a lot more but those are things I find essential.
    Last edited by porksoda; 11-21-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    iPhone Intermediate

366 Posts

If it's a factory unlock iPhone, it will forever be unlock. Updating the firmware or JBing won't change that.
    iPhone Intermediate

244 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

I have a 16 gig iPhone 4 that I purchased from apple too. It will always be unlocked if you have purchased it from them here in Canada.
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

You don't NEED to jailbreak your iPhone for it to say unlocked, but theres minimum downside to JB one. Customization, countless features, you would be crazy not to jailbreak haha.