Before Jailbreaking and What not to do after Jailbreaking?

meno

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, I have some questions about JBing.

1) I'm currently running on 4.0.2 on the iphone 4. Should I backup my stuff first or should I update to 4.1 and then backup?

2) Should I restore the phone after backing up the data or do I restore the phone after it has updated to 4.1? (Do I restore the phone back to stock first and then update?)

3) Do you guys recommend restoring it and then JB? or restore and sync back your old stuff and then JB?

4) Once your phone has been JBed, is there any recommendation on what not to do? like is there any specific apps that you shouldn't install?

Also I'm a bit confuse on Greenpois0n, isn't GP the same JB that was asking people for money to help JB their phones? What's the difference between tether JB and untether JB?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Thanks

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
1) I'm currently running on 4.0.2 on the iphone 4. Should I backup my stuff first or should I update to 4.1 and then backup?

Backup on 4.0.2 becuase you want a clean install anyway. Also make sure you either use TU if on iphone4 or pwnagetool if 3GS so you dont lose unlock if you care about that...

2) Should I restore the phone after backing up the data or do I restore the phone after it has updated to 4.1? (Do I restore the phone back to stock first and then update?)

Restore to a fresh 4.1 install

3) Do you guys recommend restoring it and then JB? or restore and sync back your old stuff and then JB?

Restore to 4.1, Restore Backup Settings, Jailbreak, then Sync.

4) Once your phone has been JBed, is there any recommendation on what not to do? like is there any specific apps that you shouldn't install?

Id stay away from cracked apps, as they usually are the ones that cause problems. The few dollars you save isnt worth the headache.

Also I'm a bit confuse on Greenpois0n, isn't GP the same JB that was asking people for money to help JB their phones? What's the difference between tether JB and untether JB?

No, that was a scam by people pretending to be GP.

Tethered means that everytime you reboot the iPhone, you must connect it to your PC to maintain the JB.

meno

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
farbod21, I really got to thank you for the great reply.

I'm a bit confused on the "restore to backup settings". When you restore your settings back to normal... doesn't it also sync all your old stuff back too like your contacts and apps?

Also I'm assuming that untethered must be the best right? Is GP tethered or untethered?

Also, I've read that JBing... is totally safe unless you have open ssh, correct? SSH is an app that you have to dl in cydia right? If I don't download SSH app then I shouldn't have anything to worry about security correct?

Once again thanks, farbod21. I really appreciate your quick replies.

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I'm a bit confused on the "restore to backup settings". When you restore your settings back to normal... doesn't it also sync all your old stuff back too like your contacts and apps?

No backup and restore of settings only does just that. It does restore settings for apps and such, but syncing is still an additional step. Usually iTunes does reboot and go into syncing after a restore from backup, but you can easily stop that by either unplugging your phone or closing itunes during that reboot.

Also I'm assuming that untethered must be the best right? Is GP tethered or untethered? Usually iTunes will reboot and go into a sync automatically after a restore, but you can easily stop that by closing iTunes or unplugging your phone during that reboot.

All current jailbreaks are untethered.

Also, I've read that JBing... is totally safe unless you have open ssh, correct? SSH is an app that you have to dl in cydia right? If I don't download SSH app then I shouldn't have anything to worry about security correct?

Correct, even if you want to use SSH (a great tool) you can easily change the password and use a settings toggle to turn it off at will.

Once again thanks, farbod21. I really appreciate your quick replies.

My pleasure.

Last edited:

meno

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks farbod21.

OMG. LOL. I just realized something that has been confusing me the whole time. The term "sync" means to put music in my phone right? I thought that syncing means to put all my contacts and apps back in my phone.

So after restoring to 4.1, I should restore back up settings (which mean put back all my contacts and apps together back to normal) and then Jailbreak?

I only need to sync if I want my music back right? If I dont have any music in my phone then there is no need to sync correct?

LOL, I think i have been using the term sync incorrectly.

Once again, thank you farbod21. You've been a great help and hopefully I will be able to JB after work. Thanks

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
OMG. LOL. I just realized something that has been confusing me the whole time. The term "sync" means to put music in my phone right? I thought that syncing means to put all my contacts and apps back in my phone.

Syncing puts apps, music, photos, podcasts, *new contact set, movies, and such on the phone. Settings, texts, and things like that are done by a backup and restore.

So after restoring to 4.1, I should restore back up settings (which mean put back all my contacts and apps together back to normal) and then Jailbreak?

No, restore wont put ur apps back, but you want to jailbreak before putting apps on the phone as some have had issues with syncing before a JB. After youve successfully JBen your phone, then do a full sync.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
NEVER install updates thru Cydia until after checking for any issues on Twitter first.

I updated "Multitaking Time" today and it kept crashing my iPhone to the Sad Mac icon and into SafeMode. Had to uninstall it, which is sad because i liked that addon a lot.

meno

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
NEVER install updates thru Cydia until after checking for any issues on Twitter first.

I updated "Multitaking Time" today and it kept crashing my iPhone to the Sad Mac icon and into SafeMode. Had to uninstall it, which is sad because i liked that addon a lot.

REALLY?

How do you know when you have an update? My cydia app has a 1 notification that I seem to not be able to get rid of. The only thing I see inside cydia is in the "changes" section there is an UI Kit... but I don't know what to do with that.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
REALLY?

How do you know when you have an update? My cydia app has a 1 notification that I seem to not be able to get rid of. The only thing I see inside cydia is in the "changes" section there is an UI Kit... but I don't know what to do with that.

Hit upgrade in the right top corner on the changes screen. Always keep your cydia apps updated.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Hit upgrade in the right top corner on the changes screen. Always keep your cydia apps updated.

I second that. Most of the changes the Dev's make are to fix issues in their apps. I have has a few apps that broke after an update, but the Dev's work quick to fix them.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I second that. Most of the changes the Dev's make are to fix issues in their apps. I have has a few apps that broke after an update, but the Dev's work quick to fix them.

That may be true, but it can take awhile before a fix is released, and if you rely on a jailbreak app, it's best to know if the update you are installing doesn't have any issues first. You wouldn't want to install an update to bitesms or lockinfo only to find that there is a bug with another piece of software that makes the phone go to safe mode until either one is uninstalled.

Like all software updates nowadays, twitter will be filled with comments about its stability

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro