Jailbreaking soon. Have some questions

ExplosiveHippo

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 . I'm looking to jailbreak it for numerous reasons but I want to make sure I'm clear on some questions first.

I plan on using PwnageTool, btw.

1. When I do the jailbreak will I lose all my current data (apps, contacts, messages, settings, etc.)

2. If I ever wanted to restore back to a non-JB firmware can I restore to the state my phone currently is at or will it wipe it completely to a stock iPhone? (is there a way to backup my current state)

3. Will I be able to use iTunes as I normally would? (syncing, etc)

4. Since PwnageTool is built around a hardware exploit (as far as I'm aware anyway) when 4.2 comes out will I need to wait for a 4.2 jailbreak to come out before updating?

Thanks!
Lance

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
1- backup Ur iPhone and restore it when Ur done doin the jb as the recommendation is to start fresh when u jb

2- yes you will be able to flash a non ib backup and restore Ur contacts and settings from iTunes

3- yea ITunes works...

4- no you won't have to wait.... The only way to block the jb is to change the hardware

ExplosiveHippo

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm not seeing an option in iTunes anywhere to do a backup. Can you point me in the right direction?

Can you add some punctuation to #1. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you're trying to say. haha

Are you saying that I want to do a back up, do the jailbreak, and then do a restore? Wouldn't that rid the phone of the jailbreak?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can probably find more detailed information each point if you do a little searching on here.

1. I did my j/b on 4.1 as is. It changes nothing - once the j/b is done, you really can't tell you're j/b, everything is exactly like it was 5 minutes earlier.

2. You can restore to the last backup you made - you'll only have lost any j/b apps you had on.

3. Yup - but don't update your iTunes until you've heard that any new version works with the j/b.

4. No, since it's built around a hardware exploit, you won't have to worry until there's new hardware.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just an FYI. But I had issues trying to jailbreak after using Itunes 10.0. I updated to Itunes 10.1 and restored to 4.1 to get my phone jailbroken.

Josh

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm not seeing an option in iTunes anywhere to do a backup. Can you point me in the right direction?

Can you add some punctuation to #1. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you're trying to say. haha

Are you saying that I want to do a back up, do the jailbreak, and then do a restore? Wouldn't that rid the phone of the jailbreak?

Sorry about that. i was using my iphone at work to respond via tapatalk.

What i was trying to say was, IF you want your jailbreak to go as smoothly as possible, FIRST backup your phone using the instructions above. THEN, restore a fresh install of 4.1 and wait until iTunes activates your phone. Once it activates your phone perform your jailbreak. When your jailbreak is done, take your phone and restore your backup and enjoy the wonders that go along with jailbreaking =)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2