Basic to Advanced Jailbreaking Questions

Traviis

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Basic to Advanced Pre-Jailbreaking Questions iP4 iOS4.1

Very kind of basic question, I've been looking through a lot of guides and tutorials and would just like a straight up answer as to how to get to jailbreak and back (just to be safe).

First question is about backing my iP4(iOS 4.1) before starting jailbreak. Do I just use the back up feature on Itunes or should I use some programs like TinyUmbrella or such for backup before jailbreak.

I'm going to be using GreenPois0n method of Jailbreak, that part of it is easy

Second question is if I want to UN-Jailbreak my iP4 is all I do is use the 'Restore' feature in Itunes.

Third question is if I wanted to Unlock my iP4 in a year or so will that be possible.

Fourth question is what happens when Apple releases iOS 4.2? Will my iP4 stay Jailbroken? Will I have to do anything special or will I have to stay in 4.1 land??

Bonus question: after jailbreaking my iP4 when I plug it into iTunes can I do everything the same as I am right now with a non-jailbroken iP4? Like sync (it does auto back-up is that ok or will I loose my chance to restore my iP4??)

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
First question is about backing my iP4(iOS 4.1) before starting jailbreak. Do I just use the back up feature on Itunes or should I use some programs like TinyUmbrella or such for backup before jailbreak.

Yes, just use iTunes to Backup. Use TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH blobs for 4.1

Second question is if I want to UN-Jailbreak my iP4 is all I do is use the 'Restore' feature in Itunes.

Yes. That will install stock 4.1 onto your iPhone.

Third question is if I wanted to Unlock my iP4 in a year or so will that be possible.

Im guessing that new baseband will be unlocked shortly after 4.2 is released, however if they upgrade the baseband again, its anyones guess...

Fourth question is what happens when Apple releases iOS 4.2? Will my iP4 stay Jailbroken? Will I have to do anything special or will I have to stay in 4.1 land??

You will most likely have to restore to stock 4.2 and jailbreak that. Then add all your cydia stuff back on. Hopefully they will release 4.2 JB shortly after apple releases the firmware.

Bonus question: after jailbreaking my iP4 when I plug it into iTunes can I do everything the same as I am right now with a non-jailbroken iP4? Like sync (it does auto back-up is that ok or will I loose my chance to restore my iP4??)

Yes, your interaction with iTunes is completely unaffected by the JB. The only buttons you shouldnt press are update and restore, unless you want to undo your JB.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. That will install stock 4.1 onto your iPhone.

Are you sure that it completely wipes and reloads everything? When I did a full restore of 4.1, then jailbroke it later once Limerain was released, my previous 4.0 jailbreak data was still on the phone (the /stash folder contained duplicates of my jailbreak Applications, Wallpapers, Themes folders, etc). Seems strange if it was the iTunes backup that restored that specific data.

Traviis

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thank you very much farbod21, this is my first time Jailbreaking, I usually like to know what I'm getting into before I go all in.

One more thing I thought I read somewhere that somehow or sometime (maybe they haven't figured it out yet?) that you could Jailbreak your iPhone and could never be UN-Jailbroken and the only way Apple could fix this is with future new hardware iPhones upgrades. Cause all this Jailbreaking... updating, loosing the jailbreak, waiting for new jailbreak... repeat is just blaa.. or is that just the way life is? lol

MachoDonut

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
The current jailbreaks, both Limera1n and Greenpois0n, use a hardware exploit that Apple cannot patch with a firmware update. So you don't have to worry about not being able to jailbreak your phone after a firmware update. But you will have to re-jailbreak if you update. So, until new hardware comes out, you won't have to worry about the "waiting for new jailbreak" part in your list.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Awesome thank you very much farbod21, this is my first time Jailbreaking, I usually like to know what I'm getting into before I go all in.

One more thing I thought I read somewhere that somehow or sometime (maybe they haven't figured it out yet?) that you could Jailbreak your iPhone and could never be UN-Jailbroken and the only way Apple could fix this is with future new hardware iPhones upgrades. Cause all this Jailbreaking... updating, loosing the jailbreak, waiting for new jailbreak... repeat is just blaa.. or is that just the way life is? lol

No, when people say that a JB is not patachable, it means that the exploit cannot be patched by software, meaning the door is open for future JBs without the need to find a new exploit.

The way apple firmwares work is that they wipe the slate clean and reinstall everything from scratch, which is why you always have to restore your settings and resync your phone after an upgrade. This works the same for a JB. You will always have to redo the jailbreak after every upgrade. There is no way around that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR