Restore error 1004

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Tried restoring my iPhone after jailbreaking and now i get this error "Restore error 1004". I uninstall and reinstalled but same issue...any ideas? oh yeah i am running windows 7.

thanks

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I had this happen to me this past weekend. I used Tiny Umbrella to kick the iPhone out of recovery mode then it came back up with signal and slide for emergency and I restored it with iTunes.

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
typically all you have to do in these situations is just make sure you have the latest versions of itunes and what-not.

As long as you've done that you should be fine =)

McAlsop

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I was getting this error. Didn't use TinyUmbrella - but I did edit the hosts file because of TinyUmbrella previously. Basically, I just deleted the line:
Code:
74.208.10.249     gs.apple.com
from C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (open the file with notepad)

Also had to uninstall WiFi Sync from the computer.

Reactions: Idelgado782

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just an FYI you can just REM out the line using a #

so:

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Then it will not be read, but you can go back and remove the # if you need to use the Cydia server to restore to an older version.

Reactions: Idelgado782

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but i did many of them. for example i removed itunes and installed the latest version, i followed the host solution which i found on another site, but there was no apple entry in there. i tried a different computer that never had i tunes and still i was unable to restore.But i followed BrianT suggestion and it worked like charm. I never knew you can use tinnyUmbrella to kick your iphone from DFU mode.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I was getting this error. Didn't use TinyUmbrella - but I did edit the hosts file because of TinyUmbrella previously. Basically, I just deleted the line:
Code:
74.208.10.249     gs.apple.com
from C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (open the file with notepad)

Also had to uninstall WiFi Sync from the computer.

i had this same issue for a few months on my mac. I never was able to update my ios because I always got error code 1004 and then it left my phone in connect to itunes mode. I had forgotten that once I tried to downgrade my 3gs and changed the host file. I had to use my sony laptop to upgrade my devices because of this error msg. Yesterday I was reading on mac-forums and they gave this solution which worked like a charm. They also said the tiny umbrella solution, and I tried that first and I kept getting an error message stating it could not start the tss server. I went into the host file, deleted the apple line and voila it worked with no issues. I did not have to uninstall anything on my computer though.

What amazes me is the first time I had this issue with my 3gs I called in to both att and apple to tech support and no one even thought to have me check the host file. I had to take it in to an apple store and ended up getting a brand spanking new 3gs! It amazes me that we have more educated people in our forums that the companies have in their tech support teams!! And of course being able to take the initiative and search for answers always helps as well! But i'm glad that I can use my mac when it comes to restoring, upgrading etc with no hiccups.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem last night. I uninstalled and reinstalled itunes, tried to make sure that I was in DFU mode instead of recovery mode, etc. I had tried to restore at least 6 times, and I kept getting this error. I was getting ready to try removing that line from the host file when, BAM, my iphone was restored with 4.1. Then I tried to restore from my backup from 2 hours earlier, and I got an error saying that there was something wrong with the backup. I clicked out of the error, and itunes went ahead and restored from the backup, and I have all of my folders, photos, podcast, etc just like it should be.

I don't know why or how it all worked out, but it was a very frustrating evening. I was going to jailbreak after the update, but I was so tired and relieved to have a working iphone that I decided to get some sleep and try again another day. Whew!

RepoJoe

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I was getting ready to Jailbreak and went to restore my phone and received this error. I used TinyUmbrella to get me out of recovery mode and all is well at this point. Just makes me nervous now to jailbreak.

Do you think I will run into any problems?

RepoJoe

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
What if I want to upgrade then?

Also what do I do now? I wasn't able to restore to my backup. Kept asking for password that I never set up or forgot. Got nervous so I synced.

If tiny umbrella isn't installed on the phone why would it block me from updating?

Do I have to remove the software on the comp to ever update?

Sorry for all the questions not in order.

RepoJoe

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Also since I wasnt able to get the password I clicked on the TSS option in TU. I know I should ask before but what does that do?

When I plugged my phone back to iTunes it just started to sync but not from a back up. Was that the TSS?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
- TinyUmbrella is never installed on your phone, it is a computer side program that is used to save your SHSH blobs in order for downgrading iOS firmware. It can also be used for the iPhone4 to block modem upgrades so that you can unlock your phone. If you want to upgrade, simply dont use TU.

- TSS server is used to mimick Apple Servers so that iTunes verifies iOS installation when wanting to downgrade. It must be turned on for this verification to occur.

- TinyUmbrella or JB for that matter have nothing to do with restoring from backup or syncing with iTunes.

-

RepoJoe

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
OK, here is the thing. I did not have TU open when I went to restore to factory settings, but I received the error when trying to restore.

I figured out the back up was my fault, had the password on and forgot what it was. I have since attempted the restore again and received the error once again (TU not open on Comp). Is that supposed to happen?

Also will I get the error if I ever want to upgrade the software when it is released?

Sorry noob and not understanding what I thought I did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR