The return of Geohot... Another JB to be released...

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
The story of Geohot is well known and his achievements in the iPhone hacking world are well documented...

- He created the first Hardware unlock
- Founder of iPhone wiki
- Published the first iPhone hardware unlock for bootloader 4.6
- Found the iBoot Environment Variable Overflow exploit.
- Released purplera1n
- Released purplesn0w
- Independently found the usb_control_msg(0x21, 2) Exploit.
- Released blackra1n
- Released blacksn0w

Earlier this year he announced that he was quitting the scene due to constant pestering and criticism from fans and iPhone JBers who said robbed him of the joy of his work. His rumored work Limera1n never released.

Now, a day after Chronic Dev Team and Comex announce the release of Greenpois0n, Geohot wants back in. He has announced his own bootrom exploit, which he wants included in Greenpois0n, no doubt delaying it's release... What will Chronic Dev Team do? Will Geohot release his own JB simultaneously?

Why waste an exploit (which will be patched by apple) on an already exploited and jailbroken firmware?

Will this allow 3GS users who dont have blobs saved to jailbreak?

Why the sudden change of heart?

Its an interesting time in the JB scene...

Last edited:

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
chronicdevteam
Note: greenpois0n will be released as planned. if someone decides to burn a different perfectly good exploit, that is entirely on them.

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Someone said the GreenPosi0n has some competition now. But I don't understand what they are competing for. I'm sure there is a reason but why is it bad for them to both be released? There will be more exploits to find, new hardware, new software. I don't get it.

I just hope, as stated already, that greenposi0n will be released on Sunday. I kiss my jb apps and look forward to the ones I plan on buying.

Just from the little bit of info I've read it sounds like it would be better for 4th gen idevice users to use greenposi0n because of the type of exploit being used.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I thought the next jailbreak would be sort of future proof...not easily patched by apple? I'd like to see it work on 4.2.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
How long did you have to wait until 4.1 was JB? Who says exploits will be found? Nothing is ever guaranteed. When you already HAVE the exploit, why waste it? This isnt two competing products. These are two devs creating the EXACT same thing. If Geohot releases his exploit simultaneously, he does it to our detriment, and he does it for his own ego. We gain NOTHING. It will probably piss off other devs enough for some to lose motivation and quit the scene altogether...

The exploit is futureproof (at least until new hardware is released), but the payload delivery is not. Hence we might be forced to use a tethered JB for 4.2. Also while apple might patch this bootrom exploit, they might leave Geohot's exploit wide open. Exploits are not easy to find...

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
^^Same account, hasnt been updated since May, when he left the scene...

From Joshua Hill: "We are not changing our release date. If we can implement @geohots before 10/10 we will use that, otherwise we're using ours."

Handlebars

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Is there going to be a difference at all in jbs they are going to do the same thing so what is the point of releasing the 2 jb together. They both do the same thing right just one is for all devices and one is just for 4th gen devices right.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative