Tips & Tricks: Saving SHSH Blobs /w TinyUmbrella [Jailbreak]

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
An SHSH blob or ECID SHSH is basically a unique signature which is checked against Apple servers whenever you decide to restore the firmware on any of your iDevices (iPhone, iPad and iPod touch). Once a new firmware is released, Apple stops signing the older firmware, hence making it impossible to restore back to the older firmware from iTunes. YOU MUST SAVE YOUR SHSH WHILE APPLE IS CURRENTLY SIGNING THEM.

Now to ?why is it important to save your SHSH blobs?: The creator of Cydia has setup a new server which basically mimics Apple?s verification server and can save your older signature (SHSH blob) so that you can downgrade or restore back to the older firmware. This is important because if you don?t have your SHSH blob saved, and accidently update to new firmware, you?ll loose your jailbreak and furthermore, you wont be able to downgrade back to older firmware to re-jailbreak your device.

tinyumbrella.jpg

Now while Cydia can save your SHSH blobs on the server automatically by using the "Make my life easier" button, a utility has been released which allows for both saving blobs on the server and locally and also for restoring older firmware via iTunes. You can also use TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH without being Jailbroken and for the currently signed firmware even if your iDevice is using a lower firmware.
You can download it here: TinyUmbrella
Look for version you need on right hand column.

Instructions for saving your SHSH
1. Download and run TinyUmbrella and make sure your iDevice is detected.
2. Check "Advanced Options."
3. Under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to Save (You can only restore to versions that have SHSH saved).
4. Click on "Save my SHSH."
5. Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6. Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer for all your iDevices.

Instructions for restoring:
(Make sure you have saved your SHSH blob locally using method above. If not, repeat the method above for the firmware you wish to restore to.)
1. Backup iDevice in iTunes and then close iTunes.
2. Open TinyUmbrella and make sure you dont get any errors on startup or else you will need to make sure that port 80 is open and that your host file is not set to Read-Only.
2. Click on Start "TSS server,"
3. Download firmware you wish to restore to from here: iPhone/iPodTouch
4. Open Itunes and use the Shift/Option + Restore method to choose the firmware file you wish to restore to (Upgrade button cannot be used)
5. After your firmware is restored you might get a 1004 error. Not to worry, simply click "Kick Device out of Recovery" if you get it.
6. Restore Settings from Backup in iTunes and sync.

Done!

[TinyUmbrella]
[TinyUmbrella Readme]
[TinyUmbrella Dev on Twitter]
[Firmware Files]

Last edited:
Reactions: vietalogy

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
So what if you are on 4.1 and never saved SHSH files for 4.0.1? Can you download 4.0.1 and load that through Tiny Umbrella and JB 4.0.1?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
So what if you are on 4.1 and never saved SHSH files for 4.0.1? Can you download 4.0.1 and load that through Tiny Umbrella and JB 4.0.1?

No. Once Apple stops signing you wont be able to install that firmware unless you saved the SHSH. So lets say I saved 4.0.1, not 4.0.2, and saved 4.1. When 4.2 comes out, I can downgrade to either 4.0.1 or 4.1 but not 4.0.2 as I did not save it.

Its always a good idea to save your SHSH with TU whenever a new firmware is released and signed. You never know if you will need it and it takes 5 seconds of your time.

This can also be used to try new firmware or beta versions of firmware without worry of losing your JB for long periods of time.

As an added bonus, you can even use TU to upgrade your iPhone4 to iOS 4.1 and try it out without updating your baseband (rendering your unlock obsolete). You do this by using the restore method described above for 4.1 with the 4.1 SHSH blobs saved. (iPhone4 ONLY as the validation used by the device is different than previous models)

Last edited:

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been covered already, just couldn't find an answer. To downgrade, do I need MY specific back-up/SHSH? Or for example, could you use someone else's file?

(Like the ones I used to Jailbreak/Unlock my 2G)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
SHSH and .ipsw files are different things. What you used on your 2G sounds like a custom .ipsw. SHSH, which are unique to each phone, weren't used until the 3GS came out.

So?if you need SHSH, they do have to be yours.

Reactions: uhanrodric

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
SHSH and .ipsw files are different things. What you used on your 2G sounds like a custom .ipsw. SHSH, which are unique to each phone, weren't used until the 3GS came out.

So?if you need SHSH, they do have to be yours.

Thanks! haha. I've actually been wondering that forever now. :)

larryganz

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I noticed tonight that the Cydia app has stopped reporting at the top of the screen which blobs it has saved on their server. It used to say SHSH blobs for iOS 4.01, 4.02 saved, or something like that, and now that is not displayed. Same thing for my iPad.

Is this a problem? When did this change?

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I noticed tonight that the Cydia app has stopped reporting at the top of the screen which blobs it has saved on their server. It used to say SHSH blobs for iOS 4.01, 4.02 saved, or something like that, and now that is not displayed. Same thing for my iPad.

Is this a problem? When did this change?

Cydia server has been swamped by all the traffic these past few days and so it has been returning time outs. Your SHSH's are saved, dont worry...

steeletek

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
PLEASE help!

My iPad is ALREADY JAILBROKEN. But on the Cydia page, I saw the prompt for "Make my life easier" but I accidentally hit the option: "I hate jailbreaking. Go away"!!!! Now the prompt is no longer there to save my SHSH!

I keep reading to use TinyUmbrella to locally save my SHSH. HOWEVER, can I still do this even though my iPad is already Jailbroken?!

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
PLEASE help!

My iPad is ALREADY JAILBROKEN. But on the Cydia page, I saw the prompt for "Make my life easier" but I accidentally hit the option: "I hate jailbreaking. Go away"!!!! Now the prompt is no longer there to save my SHSH!

I keep reading to use TinyUmbrella to locally save my SHSH. HOWEVER, can I still do this even though my iPad is already Jailbroken?!

Yes, TinyUmbrella uses Cydia servers so you can save it that way as well. TinyUmbrella can be used if you jailbroken or not, makes no difference.

lineskier22

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
today my i4 (4.1, limera1n) got stuck in "boot loop" where the apple logo stays on constantly and i had my 4.1 blobs saved and when i go to restore using the steps above, it gets so far and says iphone could not be restored... I followed the steps above exactly..

i unistalled itunes then re downloaded and still didnt help

any other ideas?

fayek

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
here's my question...
im getting an iphone 4 in a few days and it will be locked. im planning on moving to another country in a few months so i'll need to unlock it. but i dont need to unlock it now... what will i need to do now to ensure me being able to unlock?

i dont care about jailbreak either at this point i would like to run 4.2.1 or at least 4.1, is that possible?

to make my question more specific (if i actually understand this whole baseband game right) if i get an iphone 4 and say it runs 4.0 with baseband 1.5 ( or whatever it is thats unlockable ) when i save SHSH files, then upgrade to 4.2.1 my baseband will get upgraded as well..

using those SHSH saves, can i restore back to 4.0 and the original baseband? or do basebands only upgrade but never downgrade? and once i upgrade i'll have to wait for an unlock for that baseband.

also, is there a way to upgrade to 4.2.1 but preserve the baseband for unlocking?

thank you

beez1717

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on iPad 4.2.1 tethered and i saved my blob and it said that cydia does not have my blob. Since they may not have it for a while, how would I get around that issue?

IamHanSolo

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Can we get an update on this with regards to 4.3.x...?

I overwrote my backup in iTunes with my jailbroken iOS, and would like to create a clean unbroken backup that I can choose.