Updating jailbroken 3gs running 3.1.3?

jenl0202

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs running 3.1.3. Was hoping to get some advice about how to update to newer OS without losing the jailbreak. I'd really like to upgrade bc of the new features, but it seems so complicated to do. Last time I did the jailbreak it was as simple as plug in and go, done within minutes. I'd really appreciate any advice/help. Thanks!

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Well if you have your SHSH blobs saved (you can check in cydia) then the best thing to do is to download and use TinyUmbrella and upgrade to 4.0.1 (Download Link) and then just use the Star Jailbreak at Jailbreakme.com

If for some reason you dont have your blobs saved, then let me know and I will help...

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
I'm almost positive I saved them in cydia, how do I verify that? Thanks so much!

When you open Cydia you need to see this:

img0280f.png

You need to see either 4.0.0 or 4.0.1

If you dont see one of those two you will have to use one of these two methods:

1. Pwnage Tool (Mac)
2. Sn0wbreeze - Must be jailbroken by blackra1n/redsn0w/sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
It says SHSH: iOS 3.12,4.0,4.0.1,4.0.2

Good. You are good to go. Download TinyUmbrella and iOS4.0.1 firmware from above and restore to 4.0.1. Then just use jailbreakme and you are done. Make sure to backup your iPhone before you start.

Tiny Umbrella instructions:

To restore a firmware you need to press 'Start TSS Server'. This will kill Tunes and flush your dns cache. You will need to start up iTunes and select your iOS device and click 'Shift or Option + Restore' and select the firmware for which you have SHSHs saved either locally or on-file at Cydia. During the restore process you will see TinyUmbrella receive and respond to requests from iTunes.

At the end of a successful iPhone 4 restore you will likely encounter a 1004 error. This is perfectly normal and has to do with the baseband not being updated. Simply 'Kick Device Out of Recovery' when the iTunes and USB logo appear and you will be rebooted into the activation screen. (This is a very common concern with people but its perfectly fine)

If you get a 3002 error it is likely because you clicked 'Update' and not Shift or Option + 'Restore'. TinyUmbrella ONLY supports restores. Updates are not supported yet. (Nor are they planned to be supported)

3002 errors could also come from not being able to modify your hosts file or Port 80 being used by another program. Please make your hosts file writable as some anti-virus software changes the permissions on that file to read-only.
(google is your friend :D )

jenl0202

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, I'm totally going to brick my phone. Lol. How exactly do I click "'Shift or Option + Restore'"? Thanks so much for the help, sorry for being a pain.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Oh man, I'm totally going to brick my phone. Lol. How exactly do I click "'Shift or Option + Restore'"? Thanks so much for the help, sorry for being a pain.

If you have a mac you press option and click on the restore button on itunes which opens a window to choose the firmware you downloaded (4.0.1). If you have a PC you press shift and click restore.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
More in-depth instructions.

Download and run Tinyumbrella:
1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to restore to.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can restore with. If it's not there, you can't restore to it.
7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
8) If you phone get stuck during the restore process, try "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
More in-depth instructions.

Download and run Tinyumbrella:
1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to restore to.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can restore with. If it's not there, you can't restore to it.
7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
8) If you phone get stuck during the restore process, try "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

Well 1-6 is unnecessary if you've already confirmed your SHSH blobs via cydia as Jenl0202 has. But for people that havent it is very helpful...

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well 1-6 is unnecessary if you've already confirmed your SHSH blobs via cydia as Jenl0202 has. But for people that havent it is very helpful...

To use TU, you need to save your SHSH blobs locally. Steps 1-6 does that otherwise just clicking on "TSS server" won't work.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
When you open Cydia you need to see this:

img0280f.png

You need to see either 4.0.0 or 4.0.1

If you dont see one of those two you will have to use one of these two methods:

1. Pwnage Tool (Mac)
2. Sn0wbreeze - Must be jailbroken by blackra1n/redsn0w/sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool.
For 3GS, to use custom firmware create through pwnagetool or snowbreeze, the phone must be currently pwned JB with the old bootrom. And, the last pwned JB were Redsnow 3.1.2 or Spirit 3.1.3 + Spirit2pwn (Cydia).

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
Damn, why is it so difficult this time around? Is the newer OS even worth all this trouble?

Its more difficult this time because you are a bit late to the party. Had you updated to 4.0 or 4.0.1 when Star was released it wouldve been really easy. Now that 4.1 is out, and there is no current JB for it, you have to undertake a few more steps in order to upgrade or you can wait until a new JB is released. However once you undertake the steps we gave you, youll find that its a lot simpler than it sounds...

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Damn, why is it so difficult this time around? Is the newer OS even worth all this trouble?

If you update before Apple releases a new firmware, it's just as easy to JB. For example, with the last JB, all you had to was update to official 4.0 or 4.0.1 through iTunes, goto jailbreakme.com and move a slider to JB. The problem comes once Apple release new firmware and denies you from install jailbreakable OS firmware. Then, you have to take all the steps to get pass their SHSH security checks to install them.

As to if it's worthwhile update, read up on the new features and decide for yourself.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner