Updating jailbroken 3gs running 3.1.3?
I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs running 3.1.3. Was hoping to get some advice about how to update to newer OS without losing the jailbreak. I'd really like to upgrade bc of the new features, but it seems so complicated to do. Last time I did the jailbreak it was as simple as plug in and go, done within minutes. I'd really appreciate any advice/help. Thanks!
- 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM #2
Well if you have your SHSH blobs saved (you can check in cydia) then the best thing to do is to download and use TinyUmbrella and upgrade to 4.0.1 (Download Link) and then just use the Star Jailbreak at Jailbreakme.com
If for some reason you dont have your blobs saved, then let me know and I will help...
- 09-27-2010, 02:52 PM #4
- 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM #6
Tiny Umbrella instructions:
To restore a firmware you need to press 'Start TSS Server'. This will kill Tunes and flush your dns cache. You will need to start up iTunes and select your iOS device and click 'Shift or Option + Restore' and select the firmware for which you have SHSHs saved either locally or on-file at Cydia. During the restore process you will see TinyUmbrella receive and respond to requests from iTunes.
At the end of a successful iPhone 4 restore you will likely encounter a 1004 error. This is perfectly normal and has to do with the baseband not being updated. Simply 'Kick Device Out of Recovery' when the iTunes and USB logo appear and you will be rebooted into the activation screen. (This is a very common concern with people but its perfectly fine)
If you get a 3002 error it is likely because you clicked 'Update' and not Shift or Option + 'Restore'. TinyUmbrella ONLY supports restores. Updates are not supported yet. (Nor are they planned to be supported)
3002 errors could also come from not being able to modify your hosts file or Port 80 being used by another program. Please make your hosts file writable as some anti-virus software changes the permissions on that file to read-only.
(google is your friend )
- 09-27-2010, 04:10 PM #8
- 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM #9
More in-depth instructions.
Download and run Tinyumbrella:
1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to restore to.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can restore with. If it's not there, you can't restore to it.
7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
8) If you phone get stuck during the restore process, try "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.
- 09-27-2010, 04:57 PM #10
- 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM #11
- 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM #12
- 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM #13
- 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM #15
- 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM #16
As to if it's worthwhile update, read up on the new features and decide for yourself.