Something I want to clear up: Bricking

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
There has recently been a lot of talk on the forum regarding "Bricking" your iphone when performing a Jailbreak.

I want to clear something up. It is basically impossible to truly "brick" your iphone using the Star Jailbreak (jailbreakme.com). Bricking your phone doesnt mean your logo is stuck, or you have to reboot your phone, or that you keep getting kicked into safe mode. Bricking your device means that your device is dead. Will not start up and cannot be restored. The iPhone comes with a fail safe feature of allowing you to go into either DFU Mode or Restore Mode which both allow you to restore back to factory settings. A bricked iPhone will not be able to enter these modes, something I have never seen in all my time dealing with jailbreaks.

farbod21

TiPb Jailbreak Genius
Jun 21, 2010
twitter.com
FYI: The term bricking or brick became popular within the PSP hacking community because unlike the iPhone, the PSP did not have publicly accessible Restore and DFU modes so if something went wrong (usually in the middle of a firmware flash), you were left with a device as useful as a brick. That is until Pandora's Battery was released and an accessible restore mode was created.

Since the iPhone has these accessible recovery modes, truly bricking your device is almost impossible when performing a tested and public jailbreak.

Last edited:

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
It's about time someone said this out loud. To go a step further there are very few risks involved in jailbreaking because of the fact that you can restore at any time. That's right- your warranty won't go bye bye, the Earth won't stop spinning, Steve Jobs won't show up at your house.

The ONLY risk that I know of is the time you spend jailbreaking and restoring (make sure you have a good backup of course).

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've gave the speech before that farbod21 just did but in replies to stupid people thinking there phone was a brick. Still to date in about 18 months of my jailbreak experience I've never found or heard someone brick there phone.

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
FYI: The term bricking or brick became popular within the PSP hacking community because unlike the iPhone, the PSP did not have publicly accessible Restore and DFU modes so if something went wrong (usually in the middle of a firmware flash), you were left with a device as useful as a brick. That is until Pandora's Battery was released and an accessible restore mode was created.

Since the iPhone has these accessible recovery modes, truly bricking your device is almost impossible when performing a tested and public jailbreak.

Actually, PSPs were possible to brick completely and never be restored. That would only happen if you had a bad NAND flash though. :)

and agreed. Theres to many questions about bricking an iphone. I have no idea how stupid you would have to be to actually render it useless unless its dropped.

juched

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I have hacked firmwares and upgraded quite a few devices over the years including an iPod and never had a brick. I did have a scare or two but if you take care most devices are pretty safe. Glad to know that iPhones are pretty safe since I am itching to jailbreak my new iPhone 4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1