Am new, please help :)
Am new to hear, so hello all .
I bought an iphone from ebay, and am not sure if it is jailbroken. AM new to the whole iphone scene, as am more into blackberrys lol. So anyways I bought the phone and i've tryed emailing the guy to ask if it is jailbroken, but am awaiting on a reply. Its a Iphone 3gs with firmware 4.0.2 (8A400). If you could help me i would be graatful.
- 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM #2
The easiest way to tell is search for Cydia or Rock, if either are on your iPhone, your jailbroken. Otherwise it's doubtful. If you are jailbroken and want to continue to be, don't update to 4.1.
You planning on staying with iPhone?
- 09-10-2010, 04:23 PM #5
You've got to equip yourself with essentials. What are the things you liked most about your Blackberry?
•Pushmail (if you have forward-able email)
•Pocket Informant for calendar & task management
•Podcaster for Podcast management
•Docs to go
•Calcbot for a better calculator with tape
•mSecure for password storage
•A good twitter client (Twitter for iPhone)
•PingChat! for BB messenger style messaging & they have a BB client so you can still message them.
Just a quick start guide.
Let me know if you have any Q's
- 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM #7
- 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM #8
- 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM #10
Depends on when your 3GS was built, early versions could do an untethered jailbreak, but Apple updated it midstream and those 3GS's could only do a tethered jailbreak. Which means any time you rebooted, you would have to connect to your computer so the jailbreak could be recognized.
How to Check Your iPhone Bootrom Version
- 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM #11iPhone Intermediate
- 366 Posts
Only way to JB is if you downgrade to 4.0.1 or below. Apple use ShSH security check for restoring phone. In essence, they will only allow you to install latest firmware, 4.0.2 and 4.1. If you previously saved your SHSH hashes for older firmware, you could trick iTunes installing an older firmware. The big question, did you or previous owner saved the old hashes?
Last edited by myzhi; 09-10-2010 at 05:05 PM.
- 09-10-2010, 09:44 PM #13iPhone Intermediate
- 366 Posts
1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to downgrade to.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can downgrade to.
7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
8) If you phone get stuck during restore, trying "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.