3.1.2 to 4.0.1 JB/Unlock. Couple of questions

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm on a 3gs 16gb running 3.1.2 right now.

I am thinking about getting brave and trying to upgrade to 4.0.1 and JB/Unlock. Couple questions for you guys.

First...a simple one. Any reason why this should not work?

Second....I downloaded the 4.0.1 zip file to my desktop. I understand that when I update the phone I'll need to do the shift+click thing and select the 4.0.1 software so I don't upgrade to 4.1. My question is this......The zip file contained a BUNCH of files. Which do I select? None of them were obviously labeled, nor did any of them seem particulary large. Kind of wondering if I downloaded a bad file, or just did something wrong.

Thanks a bunch guys

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Step #1: A few questions. Is it old or new bootrom? Is phone still runing 3.1.2? Is it JB or not?

A) If it's old bootrom, running 3.1.2 and JB, create or find (google) custom 4.0.1 and use it to restore through Itunes.

B) If on old bootrom, 3.1.2 and not JB, use Redsn0w to JB phone, and then, create or find (google) custom 4.0.1 and use it to restore through Itunes.

C) If new bootrom, continue next step.

Step #2: Dealing with Apple's SHSH restoring security check. In short, Apple / Itunes will only allow you to restore to latest firmware, right now 4.0.2 and 4.1. If you have your SHSH hashes saved for older firmware, you can trick Itunes into allowing you to install them. Thus, big question. Do you have SHSH hashes saved?

A) If NO, you are SOL. Wait until possible 4.1 JB.

B) If YES, Download and run Tinyumbrella:
1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select the firmware version you want to downgrade to.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, it has been saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes if you wish.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved on your computer and the firmware you can downgrade to.
7) Start "TSS server," download firmware file somewhere (google) and restore through iTunes with that file.
8) If you phone get stuck during restore, try "Kick out of recovery..."'in Tinyumbrella.

If you don't understand what I am saying, take few days Googling and start reading. And, file you downloaded, rename it from X.zip to X.iswp. Then, you can use it on Itunes.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much guys.

I am currently jailbroken, and not sure on the bootrom, but i will check.

Two more quick questions...

1) Will putting the phone in DFU mode kill my current jailbreak and unlock?

2) Just to be sure I understand on renaming the file.....I just rename the zip file, or rename one of the files within it?

Much appreciated.....that was a great guide on what I need to do!

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks very much guys.

I am currently jailbroken, and not sure on the bootrom, but i will check.

Two more quick questions...

1) Will putting the phone in DFU mode kill my current jailbreak and unlock?

2) Just to be sure I understand on renaming the file.....I just rename the zip file, or rename one of the files within it?

Much appreciated.....that was a great guide on what I need to do!

You don't need to go into DFU mode. And, just putting phone in DFU mode won't remove your Jb / unlock until you start the restore process through iTunes.

Rename the zip file, entire thing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2