Jailbreaking? is it worth it?

lineskier22

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I am considering jailbreaking my first iphone (iphone 4 of course) when the jailbreak for iOS 4.1 comes out. Is it worth the jailbreak just in general?

I just don't want a simple "yeah duh" answer. I'd like reasons why it's worth it.

Last edited:

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
It's different for everyone. Some do it because they want access to an app that is not available in the app store ie. GV Mobile for google voice. Some people do it for theming their phone. Some people do it for the added functionality ie CallTell reads name of person calling and read SMS message out loud. There are other nefarious reasons too. I guess you have to find why you want to do it and also are you willing too deal with a little crash here and there, and also not mind tinkering with your device.

Last edited:

lineskier22

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I thought you just posted in another thread that you JB'ed your 3G? What do you think of it?

yes I did jb my 3g. Its just so slow running cydia,and every thing else. i put a theme on it which is very awesome, i also tried tethering (very cool). i want to jb my iphone 4 on 4.1 but id need to downgrade (dont know how) or should i just wait for redsnow or spirit to come out with a 4.1 jb?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd just wait if I were you; the new JB should be available before long. If you went through the whole downgrade/jailbreak process, you'd just end up doing it again after the new one comes out and you update.

You didn't mention what version you're running on the 3G--if it's 4.0.x it's going to be slow, but you can use any firmware on the 3G...4.1 or 3.1.3 will likely be better.

lineskier22

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd just wait if I were you; the new JB should be available before long. If you went through the whole downgrade/jailbreak process, you'd just end up doing it again after the new one comes out and you update.

You didn't mention what version you're running on the 3G--if it's 4.0.x it's going to be slow, but you can use any firmware on the 3G...4.1 or 3.1.3 will likely be better.

oh sorry it's 4.0. I just wanted to see how cool jailbreaking is, so i did not care what version it was

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely worth doing, but if you'd have a better experience (speed-wise) using a different version. The early iOS4 updates really slowed down the 3G; fixing that was part of the reason for 4.1 being released. Not a big deal though if you'll be using the i4.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Are there real security concerns that should be considered if you jb? Seems like it might be a scare tactic used by the powers that be. I am considering doing it but really don't want to open my phone up to being hacked like a pc. ;)

I'm hoping there will be a step by step "guide to jailbreaking for dummies" and a how to restore if something goes wrong section on the forum after the new iOS jb is released.

Miggs2002

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
the first JB i did was very complex to do, but they have just got easier and easier imo, they are worth while to me for the apps that i download via torrents and then install for free onto the phone, also the phone is almost infinitely customisable if it's JB, any ringtone you want and plenty of SMS tones too, you can create lock and unlock tones, i had on my 3G a smiley face slider, the words slide me b*tch and car alarm lock/unlock sounds, i can't wait for the 4.1 JB to see what else is possible with the 4G

i had a cracked version of TomTom western europe on the 3G and they have changed a few things for the 4G which is another thing i'm looking forward to investigating

ScottRoke

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Are there issues with some apps? i.e. when Facebook updated there app there was a problem with JB iPhones.

And when this new JB comes out for 4.1, will I be able to update from 4.1 without having to jailbreak again?

Sorry for my ignorance.

white573

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
I mean it's simple. Jb and do basically what ever you want with your phone. Or just let apple control what you do with you phone

michaelchang516

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't feel the need to jailbreak anymore. There's not one BIG jailbreak feature that I really want. Plus it takes a lot of time to maintain a good jailbreak. And you never know when it'll affect your battery life.

qzilver

Sep 2, 2010
www.giantrobot.cz.cc
I would definitely do it just because of the added functionality. Especially the annoying popups you get from sms and other apps. if you jailbreak it you can get rid of the annoying popups and there are also apps that give you better notification like "notified". there are also apps that give you a lot more info on your lockscreen like "lockinfo" But if you don't find the pop's annoying then probably not worth jailbreaking.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys!

I know most of u are not new to jb but, i'd like to tell u, i have a webapp for beginners. I hope it will be helpful for start jailbreak. Of course, all content is in english. It's called "I DO JB". I released it only 2 days ago. It tells u the most important thing what u have to know about jailbreak and cydia. This is my first webapp so pls feel free to let me know my mistakes. It doesn't require jb to install it. Thanks guys!

wow 8th post and its identical

katiiegm

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I am relatively new to the Iphone (3GS) and was very leary of Jail breaking. My one and only reason for doing it is to tether with my iPAD through MiWi. It works flawlessly and I am delighted i did it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73