How to upgrade from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1

excberry

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to upgrade to jailbreakable 4.0.1. Upgrading through iTunes will force an update to 4.0.2, on which you cannot jailbreak.

My old bootrom 3GS 3.1.2 is currently jailbroken (via blackra1n). How can I do this?

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to upgrade to jailbreakable 4.0.1. Upgrading through iTunes will force an update to 4.0.2, on which you cannot jailbreak.

My old bootrom 3GS 3.1.2 is currently jailbroken (via blackra1n). How can I do this?

You cant. Apple isnt signing 4.0.1 anymore so your choices are stay where you are or upgrade to 4.0.2 and be locked again

EDIT**

blackrain isnt a "pwned" jailbreak so you cant use that method either.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You cant. Apple isnt signing 4.0.1 anymore so your choices are stay where you are or upgrade to 4.0.2 and be locked again

EDIT**

What do you mean blackra1n isn't a "pwned" jailbreak?

If the OP has saved SHSH for the device he can update to 4.0.1 using Cydia or TinyUmbrella to authorize the install.

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
big9erfan:

This is exactly the question that I pm'd you earlier (and thanks for the quick reply). I do have all the "blobs" stored on Cydia.

Jailbreakme.com vs. Snowbreeze (or whatever it's called)?

Which version of iTunes?

Etc, etc, etc.

Thanks.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If the OP has saved SHSH for the device he can update to 4.0.1 using Cydia or TinyUmbrella to authorize the install.

Well he sure didnt specify this in his orig post, but if hes been saving shsh's without upgrading, going to 4.0.1>jb>saurik's patch is the best route

Forbes

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site

EDIT**

i have an 3gs, that i would like to also update to only 4.0.1 how can I go about saving the blobs etc so I dont get stuck with 4.0.2? and is this possible if I erased all setting and data off my iphone already?

Last edited:

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i have an 3gs, that i would like to also update to only 4.0.1 how can I go about saving the blobs etc so I dont get stuck with 4.0.2? and is this possible if I erased all setting and data off my iphone already?

You can only save SHSH blobs when Apple was signing them. Now, Apple is only signing 4.0.2, and thus, that's the only version you can saved. Blobs aren't saved on your phone so erase all content doesn't do anything with them.

To save SHSH blobs or see what you have saved, install and run Tinyumbrella (phone doesn't need to be JB):
1) Make sure you Iphone is detected.
2) check "Advanced Options."
3) In new window, under "Device / Version," select whatever firmware you wish to try to save.
4) Click on "Save my SHSH." Pray Cydia has them. If you don't get an error, the SHSH hash was saved onto your computer.
5) Repeat to save other firmware hashes.
6) Now, click on "Display SHSHs." It should listed all hashes you have saved onto your computer.

Last edited: