Trouble Restoring Jailbroken iPhone to Its Former Glory

avsrock90

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I purchased an unlocked iphone 3GS running 4.0 from craigslist about two months ago. I am led to believe it was jailbroken using pwnagetool and I am 99.99% sure it has the old bootrom.

I used it in Europe successfully with many different carriers, so I know the unlock worked. I came back to the US yesterday, downloaded some Cydia apps, and plugged it into my computer. It synced with iTunes then came up with an error saying that it was running out of space. So I tried adjusting sync settings to put less stuff on it, but iTunes was freezing up (I'm running a mac, btw).

So I unplugged the iPhone mid sync, and the iPhone itself gives me a message telling me to clear data off. I try to delete videos from inside of the iPod app, but it won't load any of my library. I plug it back into the computer and iTunes says that it cannot read the data on the phone so that I need to restore. Crap. But no big deal, I think, I'll just restore it and rejailbreak it.

So I restore it to iOS4.0 via iTunes and then have pwnagetool create a custom ipsw for me, but when I throw the phone into recovery mode and try to restore to this custom ipsw, iTunes says that the iphone cannot be updated because of an unknown error. I've tried it a couple of times and it won't work and I'm not sure why. Anyone have any thoughts? I am still able to restore to 4.0 from recovery mode.

I've heard about the ease of jailbreakme, and I was thinking of upgrading to 4.0.1 by holding option and clicking restore in iTunes and then jailbreaking that way (I think you can move "forward" using "restore," right?). Even if this worked in theory, the problem here is that I don't have AT&T so I can't activate through iTunes in order to get safari working on the phone to load jailbreakme.com.

Anyone have thoughts? I thought I had the whole process figured out, but it looks like I was wrong?.Thanks for any help.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Possible it was JB'ed with Spirit instead, which I think would leave you in the lurch. Worth double checking your bootrom, too. From the Dev Team Blog:

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
* If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

Have a look here to figure out your options:
iPhone & iTouch Jailbreak / Unlock Matrix | jailbreakmatrix.com

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro