Question about restoring from jailbreak

smengler#IM

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPod just for fun, but I want to be able to restore my iPod to exactly how it was before. I've read lots of the posts about how to restore your iPhone/iPod Touch, but I've still got a few questions. If you restore your iPod from backup, you could still have some of the side effects of jailbreaking left on the OS, is that correct? Then it wouldn't exactly be "back to normal". Is there an easy way to re-install the OS 4.0 and then restore your iPod from backup? You would still have all your apps, contacts, etc. And you would also have a new install of the OS. I just want to make sure because I still want to be able to restore my iPod to exactly how it was before It was jailbroken.

Thanks for your help!

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Only way to backup individual app data without the jailbreak cruff is to do it via Jailbreak (meaning you have to rejailbreak after the restore anyway).

Otherwise, any backup iTunes has will, more than likely, have some left over jailbreak data with it.

Install OpenSSH, install Chronus, back up the specific things you need to keep (like Contacts), copy them off the iPod Touch via SFTP, restore a fresh install of the iOS on the Touch, then copy the files back.

Chronus keeps its backups in...

/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule

copy the TimeCapsule folder to your desktop using an FTP app on your PC/Mac. Restore, re-jailbreak, reinstall Chronus, copy the TimeCapsule folder back, then in Chronus, restore the backups

I did this with my iPhone and backed up just my SMS and VoiceMails.

smengler#IM

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if I didn't explain this very good. Before I jailbreak, I want to make a backup with iTunes and make a copy of that backup at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. Then jailbreak. When I'm done, I want to re-install OS 4.0 un-jailbroken, and restore from the backup I made earlier by copy those files back into iTunes. Then I won't have a jailbroken iPod anymore. Will this work?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't know that your method would work, but I suppose it is worth a shot.

The only thing you risk losing ( assuming you sync your contacts with your computer or gmail or mobile me ), is app settings ( mail accounts would have to be re-setup, saved games would be lost, etc ), text messages, etc.

Apps are synced to iTunes, so a sync will bring those back to your phone.

smengler#IM

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
App save data is backed up by iTunes, right? I know it used to be anyways. My contacts, calendars, etc are backed up with Google. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's backed up by iTunes, but it isn't restored with a sync. If your ability to restore from a backup fails with this swap of backup data fails, I was just telling you what you would lose.

smengler#IM

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
It's backed up by iTunes, but it isn't restored with a sync.
Did apple change it? I know when I returned my ipod and got a new one, I just restored from backup and all my apps, contacts, app data, everything was back.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
okay, so what you are saying is you want to...

Backup
Jailbreak
mess around with the jailbreak
Restore

If you do that, it "should" be fine. However, if you do this...

Backup
Jailbreak
play around and backup again
restore

there will be leftovers of the jailbreak

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member