dl ipsw comes as a zip and not ipsw

whitie

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
when i download the ipsw it comes as a zip file insted of ipsw
and no matter where i get it from its a zip file how do i fix this and ive tried renaming it to ipsw but still dont work help!!

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
Hmm, after re-reading your original post I wonder if your winzip, or other extracter (extractor?) is associated with .ipsw files.

When you download a ipsw file does it say "blahblah.ipsw" or does it say "blahblah.zip"? And what does the icon look like?

jackie treehorn

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
You have to unzip the zip file (there are a lot of programs that do this just look on google) the .ipsw file is more than likely inside the zip file

whitie

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
when i dl it it says blahblah.zip and ive tried many sites. should i uninstall winrar?

i dont unzip it and ive tried changing it from .zip to .ipsw it still stays a zip file

Last edited:

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
Assuming your use of WinRar means you're on windows then:

If I remember correctly in order to change file extensions in Windows you need to enable something in the file/folder settings. I'm no where near a computer at the moment so I don't have the exact path for you. But I do know if you're trying to change the file extension before checking a certain box you can still name it "blahblah.ipsw" but it'll still be recognized as a zip file.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
All u need to do to change the extension is right click on the file, click rename, delete zip and change to ipsw. That's all. Not sure why whitie's having that issue

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
All u need to do to change the extension is right click on the file, click rename, delete zip and change to ipsw. That's all. Not sure why whitie's having that issue

if whitie doesn't change the settings s/he won't be able to delete "zip" and change to "ipsw"

whitie, go to Control Panel, then Folder Options, the "View" tab, then in the "Advanced Settings" area find the check box for "Hide extensions for known file types" make sure it is unchecked. Now try and rename the .zip file to a .ipsw file.

If that doesn't work then I honestly don't know what to tell you and officially agree with rdiddy.

whitie

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
ok well problem was nvr solved just went to my friends house and it came up ipsw but now when i restore my iphone i get the i think it was 1015 error whats this and what do i do to make it work

whitie

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
sry i have the 3g iphone no idea about any other information i need the first time i jailbroke my first gen had no problems sorry :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal