Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Terminal DOES NOT work in iOS4 JB?!

Issues yeh?
    iPhone Newbie

yeah... so you must be wondering the same thing... how to set your passwords to protect yourself.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

For sure mother****a.
    iPhone Intermediate

Do the following to change your root and mobile password:

1) In Cydia, install OpenSSH. Respring phone.
    2) Google for PuTTY and install on your computer.
    3) Startup PuTTY. On main page, type in your IP address. Make sure "SSH" is dotted then click "Open."
    4) If this is your first time, a window will appear saying something about saving authentication key. Just click on yes.
    5) When you get to the screen that says "Login as:" type in: Root. Password: alpine.
    6) Now, it should say your iphone name. Type in: passwd. Enter new password and repeat. Once done, just exit PuTTY.
    7) Repeat step #3. This time "Login as:" Type: mobile. Follow rest of instructions.
    8) If you don't want OpenSSH, go back into Cydia and remove it. Respring phone.
    Last edited by myzhi; 08-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myzhi View Post
    Do the following to change your root and mobile password:

1) In Cydia, install OpenSSH. Respring phone.
    2) Google for PuTTY and install on your computer.
    3) Startup PuTTY. On main page, type in your IP address. Make sure "SSH" is dotted then click "Open."
    4) If this is your first time, a window will appear saying something about saving authentication key. Just click on yes.
    5) When you get to the screen that says "Login as:" type in: Root. Password: alpine.
    6) Now, it should say your iphone name. Type in: passwd. Enter new password and repeat. Once done, just exit PuTTY.
    7) Repeat step #3. This time "Login as:" Type: mobile. Follow rest of instructions.
    8) If you don't want OpenSSH, go back into Cydia and remove it. Respring phone.
    Yup...but you don't even have to log out and log back in as mobile. When you are logged in as root, just type "passwd mobile" and change the password for the mobile user. Piece of cake.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

I've been using this new terminal for ios4 ( it's in beta ). Works great for me.

Mobile Terminal 426

Downloads - mobileterminal - Project Hosting on Google Code
    iPhone Nanite

Guys, I'm having some issues. I've been online for the past few hours trying to just get a custom SMS ringtone... here's the details:

3gs (16gig)
    iOS4
    went to jailbreakme(.com) and ... well, did that, got a few apps (including sbsettings and openSSH)
    I created a file on my MAC OSX 10.5.8 named "sms-received2.caf" that I would like to be on my iPhone. Obviously.
    I downloaded "Cyberduck", and have been about ready to scream ever since!

sbsettings give my Data IP to be (and I shut off the wifi) - 10.136.62.xxx, but when I use Safari and check my IP on websites, it says 168.205.x.x. I have tried SFTP (port 22) on both of these, with "root" and "alpine"...

What am I missing here? I can't even successfully PING my (alleged) IP address(es) successfully.

Thanks in advance. I know how to use "user CP", so I'll be able to interact with any kind souls who want to help!

(edit.....)
    p.s. "SSH" is apparently too short of a string for the forum's search feature, so that threw me off for a bit. I just remembered that I can use google to search within domains.....
    Last edited by The Chaz; 08-02-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Sidenote, if you're on a Mac, you have SSH built into the terminal in OS X.

When connecting, type:
    ssh -l root xx.xx.xx.xx
    ^xx = digits of your IP address.

-l tells SSH that you're using a different login name.

For the mobile password, repeat and sub in "mobile" for "root".
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks! I was hoping to use a GUI
    So I tried that (not like I would have a clue of what to do next!) and it just... kinda... sat there. I think it timed out. I certainly timed out of patience.
    I think my problem is the whole IP thing.
    AAAAAaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe it's a router issue? I have got the settings page for my wireless router all pulled up, and I can't see anything that looks like it's stopping my mojo.
    What the bleep is going on.
    iPhone Intermediate

you connect to the wifi ip, not the data ip
    iPhone Nanite

check!
    but still no dice.......

edit.
    Well, my router is about to parentally block me for the next 8 hours, so hopefully all you vampire tech types can give me something good to wake up to!
    Last edited by The Chaz; 08-02-2010 at 10:57 PM.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
    I've been using this new terminal for ios4 ( it's in beta ). Works great for me.

Mobile Terminal 426

Downloads - mobileterminal - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Stupid question, but how do I go about installing this? Is this just the source or binary?

Many Thanks,
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dave_birdi View Post
    Stupid question, but how do I go about installing this? Is this just the source or binary?

Many Thanks,
    Any Ideas from anybody?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5 GM

If you're using a Mac, just open terminal and type the following commands:

ssh root@xx.xx.xx
    when prompted for a password, type "alpine" without quotes
    when you are connected, just type "passwd" without quotes, enter "alpine" without quotes when prompted for the old password, and type and re-enter your new password when prompted

You can also repeat this for your mobile password, substituting mobile for root in the first command line.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by dave_birdi View Post
    Any Ideas from anybody?
    Looks to be just the app, sorry bout that, here are links to a .deb you can install.

These are not my links, and the terminal is in Beta, but are from a trusted source. That being said, use at your risk/discretion.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    Free File Hosting & Video Downloads, Free File Sharing, Online Friends Network - Ziddu
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    "I'd give it all up, for just a little bit more"
    iPhone Beginner

add this source:
    cydia.xsellize.com

then search for:
    mobileterminal ios4

works for me, just used it to change my default PW...
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by texags08 View Post
    add this source:
    cydia.xsellize.com

then search for:
    mobileterminal ios4

works for me, just used it to change my default PW...
    It works perfectly on my iPhone 4! Thanks!
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
    Looks to be just the app, sorry bout that, here are links to a .deb you can install.

These are not my links, and the terminal is in Beta, but are from a trusted source. That being said, use at your risk/discretion.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    Free File Hosting & Video Downloads, Free File Sharing, Online Friends Network - Ziddu
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Thank you very very much!
    iPhone Nanite

Default ObViouS isN'T...

Quote Originally Posted by myzhi View Post
    @myzhi...

Thanks for the info, but Linux shells are case sensitive. I typed CAPITAL R lowercase oot.

Yeah, you guessed it: "Root" didn't work and I mistakenly thought I had gotten rooted! Unfortunately, I did not realize your typo before I did a DFU. Yeah, yeah, funny. My bad for being a Windows programmer . BTW, the instructions worked great after I restored and JB'd my phone a second time.

Just to be clear, the value for the "Login as:" prompt is is all lowercase root for anybody reading this thread.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Default Oh Rats.

Hmmmm.... So after finding that nasty bit of news that terminal isn't iOS4 compatable (yet?) I scratched my head for a bit then ssh'd. Because I'm rather anal, I did mobile first (don't ask why cause I don't even know myself) Anyway after mobile I went to root and, I guess, someone lagged (phone or putty I don't know), but when I relog with putty and and drop the passwd command on root, it responds that there's already an instance of passwd running. I'm VERY rusty on my linux command line. Whats the command to terminate a process. Is there a good command line primer somewhere? Also any rumint on when / if Mobile Terminal will be upgraded? I need it for a number of command line network tools I use.
    Thus far I'm kinda disappointed on the number of 4.0 JB apps available. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't crash. Ah well! It's still MYPhone instead iPhone.
    Last edited by Mav3n; 08-04-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: bad spellor. :)
    iPhone Intermediate

Install Mobile Terminal then Run: Mobile Terminal-426.deb

Then MT will work with iOS4.0.
    Pray without Ceasing...And EXPECT GREAT ANSWERS... HAND/MGBU, IGoSlo (iMFREED)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Default thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by IGoSlo View Post
    Install Mobile Terminal then Run: Mobile Terminal-426.deb

Then MT will work with iOS4.0.
    Thanks! Apparently I type slower than I thought. When I started that post, none of the replies about the .deb were there. I wake up this morning to a plethora of answers!!! I love this board!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Thanks guys this really helped