Bricked iPhone 4?

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, earlier today I JB my iPhone 4. Everything went fine until I decided to put Rock into the background while an app downloaded. When I did that, my screen went black and since then it won't get off of the Apple boot logo screen.

I've put it into DFU mode and tried to restore. The only option I get is to restore and update, which I chose, and it begins to download the iOS 4.0.1 file. Before it's finished downloading the phone takes itself out of DFU mode and returns to the Apple boot screen and stays there again. Once the iOS file is finished downloading, it doesn't do anything.

Is there anything I can do to get my iPhone 4 back up and running or have I completely ruined my iPhone?

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
No you can't exchange a bricked iPhone. I believe you void the warranty when you "hack" it (which is what jail breaking is).

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Well I guess that's up to you. I jailbroke today and reverted back. Not worth it quite yet for me.

Anytime you jailbreak, it runs at your own risk. It does void your warranty. You can always try and lie through your teeth to Apple that you don't know what happened. But I highly doubt that they get tons if phones that get stuck in the boot screen.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't mean that it can't happen.

All I have to do is leave out specifics. Tell them I was downloading an app and the screen went blank and when I tried to turn it back on and was stuck. None of that is a lie.

I do have an appt. for an Apple tech to call me tomorrow on my wife's phone to see if there is anything that can be done. If not, I might be making a 2 hour drive to get this thing exchanged.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Good luck. From what I've been reading, it depends on the reps/geniuses at the store. Some have been able to switch out bricked iPhones due to jailbreaking, other got nothing. Keep us updated.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Ouch. I hope you get one. But if you don't, you can't get too angry.

This is always a risk. So good luck and yes, keep us posted.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know. I'm just hoping that I get a generous and understanding tech that is willing to swap them out if he is unable to revive my iP4.

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Apple has advanced restoration tools. I know firsthand. Play stupid as long as possible. If it's bricked to the point of no restore, they aren't going to waste time fussing with it. They will hopefully do a warranty exchange and send the old one back for parts. Apple wins even on "out-of-warranty" stuff because they reuse your old device.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Apple has advanced restoration tools. I know firsthand. Play stupid as long as possible. If it's bricked to the point of no restore, they aren't going to waste time fussing with it. They will hopefully do a warranty exchange and send the old one back for parts. Apple wins even on "out-of-warranty" stuff because they reuse your old device.

I hope they will if nothing can be done to fix it. The only problem is, I live in Tyler, Tx and the closest Apple Store is in Dallas, Tx ... over 2 hours away ... one way. But if they are willing to replace it, I would be more than happy to make the 2 hour drive.

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The only way you are going to find out is by making the trip. I'm lucky enough to be 10 minutes from an Apple Store. Make sure you reserve ahead of time.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm going to be getting a call between 10:15-10:30 today.

Hopefully after they troubleshoot the problem they will either have it up and running or determine that it needs to be replaced and I can schedule an appointment to go to the store and have it exchanged.

In a perfect world . . .

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
On another note - I have managed to keep my phone in recovery mode for longer than 15-20 minutes. Hopefully it will stay in this state until the iOS finishes downloading and then able to restore.

*Crosses Fingers*

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
The reason I've been unable to restore is because it takes itself out of DFU mode and when I put it back in that state, it recognizes it as a different device making the current download useless.

I've only got about 15 minutes left until the download is done. Hopefully it will stay in this mode until then and I can restore it.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STAY IN RESTORE MODE!

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
It won't go into DFU mode?

It goes into DFU mode. The problem is after 15-20 minutes, it takes itself out of DFU mode and tries to restart itself. So after placing it back into DFU mode, iTunes sees it as a new device and the iOS download won't work since it thinks it's for a different device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2