Rweards vs. Risks

kato10#IM

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. I'm a newbie and just got an iPhone 4 yesterday to replace my Blackberry. What are the rewards vs. the risks for jailbreaking your iPhone?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
:eek:The risks are if u don't know what ur doing, u could end up with an expensive paperweight. The rewards are being able to customize YOUR phone in ways Apple won't. Jailbreaking=FREEDOM :D. IMO, the rewards outway the risk by miles.

Last edited:

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
:eek:The risks are if u don't know what ur doing, u could end up with an expensive paperweight. The rewards are being able to customize YOUR phone in ways Apple won't. Jailbreaking=FREEDOM :D. IMO, the rewards outway the risk by miles.

Jailbreaking, you can always DFU restore, your phone wont be a paperweight. The iP4 isn't jailbreakable yet OP.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

another risk is not being able to personally manage the jailbreak apps (properly knowing how much is too much), and end up bogging down your devices. I was surprised how bogged down I was able to get my iPad with just a few jailbreak apps. Irregardless of the extra RAM in the iPhone 4 compared to the iPad, i will be taking care of what JB apps i add when it comes time.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
@touchyphone

That's true, but I've seen some fry their phones bc they thought they knew what they were doing and used the wrongs tools to jb thier phones and ended up being pwn'd big time. Dfu wasn't even an option for them. It's rare that it happens but it is a possiblitilty. Just trying to give OP the worse case senerio.

@macharborguy

SBsettings and iPhoneVM helps reduce alot of those issues.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
so i guess what you're all saying is "don't do it!!"

Jailbreaking is software/firmware only. If you make a mistake, you can always go back to square one.

It's almost virtually impossible to "brick" your phone from Jailbreaking.

And like previous posts, there is no Jailbreak for iPhone 4 yet.

Good place to start your homework: Home · Cydia
Since most of what you do from Jailbreaking stems from CYDIA.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
If you do your homework, do some more and finally do some more you should JB without Major issues. Yes, you probably will crash on occation but you'll recover. I've found JB'ing your iphone can be addicting... pushing it more and more to the limit... where can I go now? Have fun.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Emulators FTW.
Downloading ROMS of games you already own of course. :)

If you have a Wii. Try the NES4iPhone or similiar JB apps. (If you choose to JB of course). They support using a Wii Mote as a controller via bluetooth. It's actually pretty rad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73