Need Help updating jailbroken 3.01 3gs in Windows
Background: I have a 3gs that came with 3.01 factory and I jailbroke it with redsnow in windows. I was going to go to 3.1.2, but 4.0 was around the corner so I've been waiting patiently, but still don't have basic things like MMS cause I'm still on 3.01. I have never updated my iphone, so I am a def. newbie, but not new to forums and don't expect to be spoonfed, just need a little help and pointed to the right direction so I can do further reading.
1) I have verified that I DO HAVE the old bootrom. Is this still important and what steps can I take to make sure when I update that I remain on it. Does this mean I can only update with custom firmwares?
2) In Cydia it says that "This device has SHSHs on file for iphone os: 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0". I need a good guide on how to locally backup my SHSH blobs. I don't know why and which ones are important, but I just know this is very impotant and keep to learn how to do it.
3) Most importantly, what would you do if you were in my position? I'm dying to update, but should I just wait for Spirit to be released... or am I better off updating to 3.1.2 and then 4.0 with snowbreeze. What is the common process of updating (shift retore in itunes, jailbreak and then sync in itunes ?)
Thank you very much in advance,
- 07-27-2010, 02:25 PM #2
1) It is definitely important if you want to jailbreak 4.0 on your 3gs currently. And yes, you'll need to create a custom firmware.
2) I'm not sure if you'll be able to get local backups of your SHSH blobs for anything other than 4.0 now as Apple isn't signing them, think of it as a verification check. Once you get to the point where you can back them up locally I use The Firmware Umbrella to back up mine. They are important because they allow you to downgrade to past firmwares, once a new firmware is out (example 4.0.1) Apple no longer signs the old firmware, which keeps users from restoring to the older firmwares (example 4.0). If you are able to capture the SHSH blob while Apple is still signing them then you can later downgrade to that firmware after you've upgraded and realized you may not like it for whatever reason.
3) If you're dying to update you definitely have the ability to use sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware for 4.0 and, after pointing iTunes to Saurik's servers (tricking iTunes to try and sign the firmware via the Cydia blobs instead of Apple's), then "shift+restoring" to the custom 4.0 ipsw file. You'll then have a jailbroken 3gs running 4.0. However, you might want to go from 3.01 to 3.1.2 using sn0wbreeze and then go to 4.0. I'm not sure how redsn0w jailbreaks the phone so I'm not sure if you'd be able to go from 3.01 straight to 4. Either way a stop at 3.1.2 shouldn't take all that long. ih8sn0w is great when it comes to support, either in IRC or twitter. If you had any specific questions about sn0wbreeze not answered on these forums you should reach out and ask him directly.
To answer your question about waiting for comex to release the new Spirit or upgrading now I leave you with this:
I think the custom firmware jailbreak essentially allows the user more options to jailbreak when a new firmware release comes out. My first jailbreak was with Spirit on 3.1.3, and it was so simple and stable but curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to a jailbroken 4.0. Since I have the old bootrom I was able to run through the steps to go from a Spirit jailbreak to a Pwned jailbreak when 4.0 came out. I think the sn0wbreeze or pwnagetool jailbreak can create a custom firmware for new firmwares quicker than new jailbreak is released. I expect once 4.1 is released sn0wbreeze will be updated shortly after. But with Spirit, or the new one comex is working on, it seems it can be made irrelevant after a new firmware release.
Last edited by peanutgallery; 07-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Thank you so much for the reply... it was very helpful... a few follow-ups....
1) You are correct in terms of not being able to save local shsh's other than 4.0. I used firmware umbrella, but did't have a guide and am not sure if I did it correctly, but it appreared to save a 4.0 locally for me even though I am on 3.01 right now as we speak.
2) I'm still unclear if the bootrom is something that will update or something that I will always have... for example, if I wait for comex's release and simply restore in itunes and then jailbreak (without a custom firmware) do I lose my old bootrom?
3) Do you have any tutorial links on how to go from 3.0.1 to 3.1.2 using snowbreeze, espcially now because the only way I can do that is by using my backed up shsh from cydia's site. I agree with you in terms of using snowbreeze or pwnage vs. spirit since spirit doesn't use a custom firmware (correct?) and the spirit jailbreaks take much longer to come out... I need would appreciate a tutorial for 3.1.2 to 4.0, as well. All I have ever done was a simple jailbreak using redsnow and this is my first update... I really don't want to screw this up and I don't know what I am up against yet.
4) did you mean that you were happier with 3.1.3 than 4.0, do you recommend I skip 4.0 for now... just curious.
Thank you very much again,
- 07-27-2010, 05:55 PM #4
1) It is fairly straight forward. But if you are concerned I think there is a readme file on the site somewhere. Hmm, interesting about the blob for 4.0. I'd guess you could get a 4.0.1 if it was supported because I think all firmware umbrella does is 'ping' Apple's server and collects the SHSH for the current firmware.
2) Hmm that's a valid concern and I can only speculate. I don't know for certain when the new bootrom was introduced but I think my iPhone came with 3.1 or 3.1.2 on it and when I upgraded to 3.1.3 I didn't lose my old bootrom. I imagine you wouldn't lose the bootrom when upgrading because I'm sure upgrading would be warned against even more or someone would mention it. Plus if that were the case I think Apple would have tried to implement a new bootrom in all the old 3GS and the 3G, as I'm fairly certain the 3G is the easier iPhone to JB.
3a)*Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik) that link will show you how to point iTunes to Cydia's servers.
3b) If I don't download the ipsw from iTunes itself (using the download only option) I go to*iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download for the stock ipsw file.
3c) The short version of the tutorial is download the correct (current?) version of sn0wbreeze and load the stock 3.1.2 ipsw and let sn0wbreeze work. Make sure 3a) is complete and then "shift+restore" and find the custom ipsw on your hard drive. You should end up with a 3GS running a jailbroken 3.1.2. Rinse and repeat for 3.1.2 to 4.0, using the stock 4.0 ipsw and custom 4.0 ipsw when appropriate. Since you're not downgrading you shouldn't need DFU mode either, a simple "shift+restore" should work. If iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones is up you should be able to find more in depth tutorials and support.
4a) It's hard to say really if you should upgrade. Only you could answer that. I'm not sure if I feel it's more unstable because of the jailbreak method or the fact that some jb apps aren't fully compatible yet.
4b) I like 4.0 more than 3.1.3 simply because truthfully I don't want to jailbreak, but Apple implements ridiculous things like what they try to pass off as a notification system, and the lack of into on the lockscreen. So I jailbreak to tweak Apple's shortcomings to make my phone more functional. But with 4.0 I am content with the fast app switching and minimal 3rd party multitasking so I no longer need backgrounder and circuitous.
First, I updated to a jailbroken 3.1.2 few only a few issues, based on your instructions. The only things I ran into were snowbreeze does not include retro jailbreaks aka I had to download snowbreeze 3.1.2 to create the 3.1.2 custom firmware and snowbreeze 1.7 to create the 4.0 custom fimware. Also, I got a message about whether I wanted to update my carrier settings or something and I just canceled out cause I don't want to screw things up.
However, as I type this I have a bricked iphone as I tried to type from jailbroken 3.1.2 to 4.0. The custom firmware created just fine, but I get an error (1600) when in recovery mode I believe and (13) when in DFU mode, or vice versa I believe and I get it within the first 30 to 60 secs of the restore. I am going to try to go back to 3.1.2, if possible and wait for any help from this forum before I try to go to 4.0 again. If it is too risky I may just restore to 4.01 in apple and then jailbreak using comex's software which may be released this week.
New Update: Just got a 1604 error trying to go back to 3.1.2 custom firmware... Unless I got some help I might not have a choice but to restore to 4.01 through itunes.
Look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions,
Last edited by hazay19; 07-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.
- 07-28-2010, 06:15 AM #6
Hmm. When you're restoring to the custom 4.0 ipsw you don't need to be in DFU or recovery mode. A regular "shift+restore" is all that is needed. I'm guessing that's why you got the 1600 and 13 errors. However I believe when you downgrade you need to be in DFU.
What's the status of your phone right now? Are you on a jailbroken 3.1.2 or in recovery/DFU mode?
Last edited by peanutgallery; 07-28-2010 at 06:17 AM.
The latest is that I shirft restored to apple's official 3.1.2 and then jailbroke with spirit and that worked just fine... that is where I am presently, I don't live on my phone or anything, but need it, so I at least have a working phone and I'm halfway to the 4.0 update I was looking to do.
Is there any way to get back to using the custom firmwares?
I went into recovery mode because snowbreeze suggested it at the end of the created firmware software... I got the first error message, googled it and someone said put it in DFU mode and you won't get, did that and got the other message. I tried to go back to 3.1.2. with a custom firmware and then got the 1604 and was stuck in recovery mode. I have a feeling I might to a lot of work to try to get 4.0 now and still not get it when I can wait for a few more days, do a factory update and then jailbreak with comex's new tool... any thoughts would be appreciated and I'm not against testing either.
- 07-28-2010, 12:10 PM #8