Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default what will be the first thing u do after u jailbreak your iphone 4?

after the iphone 4 jailbreak comes out... what will everybody do first?

im thinkin...
    1. wifi tethering of sum sort (mywi most likely)
    2. tvout landscape (for slingplayer in my car through component cables)
    3. free apps/games (installous)

what about everyone else?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Sbsettings
    Lockinfo
    Quickreply
    Mywi
    Maybe notifier
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I already have tethering via handy light. Cool little program and I'm glad I picked it up before Apple took it down.
    iPhone Newbie

Tethering
    Installous
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

Tisk Tisk kiddies, you shouldn't steal other people's work. Pay for it!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Guys, no more talk of installous. You like apps - pay for them.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

This is why I think jailbreaking should brick phones. 1) It is uselss. 2) It allows for the piracy of apps, piracy does nothing to help developers like me who work hard to make apps, then have people steal them. F the pirates.
    Giraffes are people too.
    Tip the scales... you know you want to.
    15" Retina MBP 2.6GHz / 512GB
    Game Center ID: Brenden
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistGirafe View Post
    This is why I think jailbreaking should brick phones. 1) It is uselss. 2) It allows for the piracy of apps, piracy does nothing to help developers like me who work hard to make apps, then have people steal them. F the pirates.
    f the pirates all you want but I want to jailbreak it should not brick your phone. I want to do what I want with my phone I should be able to add any apps that I want not just the ones apple likes =) plus I like sbsettings and notifier and quick reply. I can honestly say if apple let those apps in I would not really need to jailbreak. I didnt really font sway or change the colors much after I got over the joy of it.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Fine Venom. Jailbreak if you want, but it annoys me it is so simple to steal from the appstore.
    Giraffes are people too.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Fine Venom. Jailbreak if you want, but it annoys me it is so simple to steal from the appstore.
    You know what annoys me, uniformed simpletons who generalize something they don't understand as "wrong" and attack it due to fear.

Useless. Really?! Useless! I wont even justify an argument here cause even the staunchest of "apple rights management supporters" would just laugh at that!

"It allows for the piracy of apps" Yes, that is true (and someone who just pirates apps and only pirates apps is meanie nerf herder!) ......... but booze allows for DUI's, the internet allows for pedophiles to prey on children, and internet forums allow imbeciles to spout ignorance (and drunkards to rebuttal !). Boooo, hiiiisssssss, shut off automobiles and the internets!

I could go on, but all you gave me was "it's dumb and only thieves use it" so that is all i have to work/talk/deal with at the moment.

Man, if you don't like jailbreaking, that is a "you problem". This is an iphone/ipad/itouch forum and all that encompass it is discussed (even tipb employs Allyson, a jailbreak writer, do you then have issues with tipb) and/or try and leave your (biased) politics at the log in screen.
    Last edited by futurecode; 07-25-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    "I'd give it all up, for just a little bit more"
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

The app LOCKDOWN. To lock email app and personal things. -_-
    -iPhone 4 16gb Black (A4 beast)
    iOS 4.01 Jailbroken

-iPhone 3G 16gb White (retired)
    3.1.3 Jailbroken
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
    You know what annoys me, uniformed simpletons who generalize something they don't understand as "wrong" and attack it due to fear.

Useless. Really?! Useless! I wont even justify an argument here cause even the staunchest of "apple rights management supporters" would just laugh at that!

"It allows for the piracy of apps" Yes, that is true (and someone who just pirates apps and only pirates apps is meanie nerf herder!) ......... but booze allows for DUI's, the internet allows for pedophiles to prey on children, and internet forums allow imbeciles to spout ignorance (and drunkards to rebuttal !). Boooo, hiiiisssssss, shut off automobiles and the internets!

I could go on, but all you gave me was "it's dumb and only thieves use it" so that is all i have to work/talk/deal with at the moment.

Man, if you don't like jailbreaking, that is a "you problem". This is an iphone/ipad/itouch forum and all that encompass it is discussed (even tipb employs Allyson, a jailbreak writer, do you then have issues with tipb) and/or try and leave your (biased) politics at the log in screen.

I have issues with jailbreaking. Apple never intended the phone to be side loaded with apps and what not. It is Apples device, they should be able to do what they want with it. If you want piracy, side loading and crap, go get a damn droid and quit *****ing about how the iPhone is locked down.
    Giraffes are people too.
    iPhone Intermediate

I don't plan on it. I enjoy my phone just fine
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,545 Global Posts

I have issues with jailbreaking. Apple never intended the phone to be side loaded with apps and what not. It is Apples device, they should be able to do what they want with it. If you want piracy, side loading and crap, go get a damn droid and quit *****ing about how the iPhone is locked down.
    Actually i don't think this site talk talks enough about jailbreaking.

Apple never intended? AT&T never intended? Who cares? We bought the phone. It's ours. It has on OS on it. We should be able to install what we want just like we've been able to do with just about every other smartphone.

Here's the thing. We know the iphone can be a wifi hotspot. MyWi does this. So why doesn't AT&T or Apple get their crap together and make this happen? Because they choose not to.

We know the iphone can really multitask aside what they're doing now. Backgrounder does this. So why doesn't Apple allow it to happen?

Controls like sbsettings can be added allowing settings to be adjusted easily. So why doesn't apple add this simple function?

If apple would allow any apps to be added in their little store, then i wouldn't jailbreak. This aspect of owning an iphone will always suck.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Personally, I'll jailbreak and install anything I damn well please. It's my phone, not apples, like you say.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If apple would allow any apps to be added in their little store, then i wouldn't jailbreak. This aspect of owning an iphone will always suck.
    exactly! if Apple had their own version of Lockinfo, Sbsettings & Quickreply, i would consider not jailbreaking

oh, and the first thing anyone should do after jailbreaking is donate. clearly there will be a need for this, always
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

You talk like the India aholes I speak to daily at work
    iPhone Beginner

I'll jailbreak for:
    Sbsettings
    Pdanet
    Lockinfo
    Yourtube (or something like it)

I'm anticipating how netflix will work. If they won't allow you to cache your flix, then I'm sure there will be an app to allow you to keep them on your phone.

Reason being... I don't have very good cell reception where I live. I would like the ability to download my flix and watch them when I'm out of cell reception. I also would like to be able to cache maps. It drives my crazy when I'm traveling through the hills and can't see my map. Grr!
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Where was I *****ing bout how the iphone is locked down? Nowhere. See, I don't have to because of jailbreaking. You are the one with the jailbreaking issue, and hence the one who is yapping.

"Apple never intended", really, that is your newest defense? Apple never intended for antenna issues, white cases cracking and drunk stooges to cause early reveals! Who care about "intended" anyway. *insert deity of choice here* didn't intended for chocolate covered bacon but that shizz is the awesome.

"It is Apples device..." Really, I didn't see Sir Jobs or the Woz (who has a jailbroken iPhone by the way) pay the 3 bills plus for that portable computer system that happens to make phones calls I now possess. I bought that sexy beast with my soft earned cash and if I wanna use it stock, jailbreak it, use it as a hockey puck, eat it, or make sweet, sweet, digital love to it then I sure as hell will cause guess what, it's not illegal do any of those things (well, maybe the sweet digital love part, but only in Wyoming and North Dakota) Ya, the piracy thing is illegal and karmicly wrong, and I do not condone that at all, but you do understand that here is more to jailbreaking than piracy right? You do understand that jailbreaking, even if you don't do it or like it, drives apple to make changes and push along ideas/apps/features on their end that otherwise would have never come to fruition? You know these things right? Dude (or Missy) you are not arguing/disagreeing/disregarding something without knowing anything about it are you? Please tell me you are not "that guy/girl"?

P.S.

So this doesn't start to completely hijack the thread:

I miss SBSettings soo much.
    Winterboard too
    Cydia itself (fun to peek at the stuff epople create even if I don't use it)
    Backgrounder (better multitasking)
    Bitesms (quick reply please)
    Last edited by futurecode; 07-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

BiteSMS. With all the changes in iOS4, that's really the only thing I miss at this point. I hate having to leave what I'm in to read/reply to an sms.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,138 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I have yet to figure out the necessity for tethering. Are we tethered to the interwebz so much so that we can't go a few hours until we get home or find a wifi hotspot? Plus, 3G is slow as balls anyway. What's the point?
    Gimme a vector, Victor. I'm coming home. Roger, Roger. Huh?
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    BiteSMS. With all the changes in iOS4, that's really the only thing I miss at this point. I hate having to leave what I'm in to read/reply to an sms.
    I know, right! And Bite implements this so well that it's a wonder as to why this has not been implemented by apple. I mean, if the people who make bite can make it work nearly flawless, why not apple. Shame really.

SBSettings is my most missed though. The ability toggle everything on and off in an instant got so essential to me. I listen to a ton of baseball and push notifications of scoring by my team tends to come sooner than the MLB app streams it. If I forget to turn off push notifications before a game (which I do without SBSettings) It sucks to see that notification pop up just before a critical play when you are listening to a tight game. And don't even get me started on turning bluetooth on and off, could it be buried any deeper, I think I saw Hoffa last time i toggled it on.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    I have yet to figure out the necessity for tethering. Are we tethered to the interwebz so much so that we can't go a few hours until we get home or find a wifi hotspot? Plus, 3G is slow as balls anyway. What's the point?
    Cause frequently when we're away for a few days there are no free WiFi hotspots. Tethering is a lifesaver.

I actually carry my VZW Centro with me when I go away so I'll be able to tether.
    iPhone Intermediate

What are all these jailbroken apps for. I mean, hypothetical if I were to jailbreak my phone?
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    Some of us have jobs that require travel. Being able to remotely administer a server while traveling is a necessity for me. Tethering is a great alternative when there is no wifi hotspot available.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast