already jb, want to upgrade from 3.0 to anything higher

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I've looked through the threads and can't find the answer - apologies if I've missed something obvious. And apologies if I'm giving too much info here but I don't know which bits are relevant...

Bought a JB iphone os3.0 a year ago. Would like finally to upgrade to anything 3.1 or higher as there are so many apps I can't use now. I have never used itunes on my pc with it before now.

My itunes offers to update it to os4.0 but I've been told there isn't a jailbreak for 3gs yet.

In Cydia there is a message: "this device has SHSHs on file for iphone OS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3.

I run windows xp on my pc.

Can anybody tell me what to do please?

Thanks

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Since you're jailbroken on 3.0 you don't have a tethered jailbreak. The best bet is to do what I did. Download sn0wbreeze and use that to create a custom firmware that won't update your baseband (I'm assuming you are not on AT&T and need to be unlocked to use the device ).

Sn0wbreeze was a snap on my 3GS running 3.1.2. It created the custom firmware and then I installed it with iTunes and it jailbroke my device on 4.0. Then I installed ultrasn0w and unlocked it.

You can get sn0wbreeze at ih8sn0w.com ( I think that's right )

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
That's great, thank you so much.

I found a tutorial on this site but it said that the phone needed to be 3.1.2 to work and mine is only 3.0. I would be quite happy to upgrade to 3.1.2, don't need os4, but I'll be happy with whatever I can get. However, not having 3.1.2 to start with means presumably I can't use that tutorial?

Ultrasn0w - I appear to already have it on my iphone, version 0.93, but will I be able to access it after I've run the sn0wbreeze program or do I need to re-download it from somewhere? And if I download it, how do I get it onto itunes or my iphone?

Sorry to ask what I'm sure are very stupid questions but I'm paranoid about turning my iphone into a brick.

Thanks

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Since ur shsh blobs are saved on cydia then upgrade ur iPhone to 4.0 thru iTunes. Then u can downgrade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, whichever u choose. Then jailbreak with Spirit. Once ur jb, then unlock with ultrasn0w thru in cydia. Be sure to back up ur phone first, then once u downgrade it, u can resync ur apps, music and data back. Below is a step by step guide from saurik on how to downgrade. Hope this helps

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
That's very helpful, thanks.

I just tried to follow Saurik's instructions - I can find the "hosts" file but I can't open it. If I open as a txt file it just explains what the file is so I don't know how to add the bit that he tells us to do to redirect itunes. Can you tell me how to do that please?

Once I am able to add it, do I wait until I've restored my iphone to os4 thru itunes and then add it. Or do I add it and then restore the iphone?

Then you say to JB with spirit. And big9erfan mentioned Sn0wbreeze. What's the difference? Mine was jb-ed last July if that's of any use, but I don't know by which program. All I know is that ultrasn0w is already in cydia. Is there any reason why one would be better to jb with than the other?

And presumably once the jb has happened, the ultrasn0w will be in my cydia on my iphone and I follow instructions from there? Or do I need to plug the phone into my pc again and access through itunes, or another way?

Thank you so much for your patience, I'm sorry this is taking me so long to get to grips with...

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Since you are already JB with 3.0, you are also pwned. Being pwned, you can use unsigned code. Thus, just create / find custom firmware and you can restore with it through iTunes. No need to upgrade to 3.1.2, and then, something else. Just restore to the custom firmware you want.

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you.

So - can I just confirm I understand exactly the steps you mean myzhi...

1. I download the OS I want from the felixbruns page ending in .de (I can't post links apparently) - if I want OS 3.1.3 then I choose from the dropdown menu for the 3gs?

2. Put my phone into DFU mode, plug it into the pc and then open itunes.

3. Press shift and restore and choose the OS 3.1.3 ipsw file that I've just downloaded and click open

4. And that's it?

Is that right or have I missed out a step or 2?

Thank you so much for all your help everyone. This is by far the best forum I have found, on any subject, in a very long time.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
You shouldn't need to put iPhone into DFU (for 3G) or recovery mode. Just hold SHIFT key + Restore (Windows) then select the custom firmware. Let iTunes restore iPhone. Once it's done, you are now JB with that OS. In unlikely event you get an error, try recovery mode.

And, just so you are aware, there's a JB out for OS 4.0 for 3GS. You can restore to that version if you want.

Last edited:

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If creating a custom firmware is so easy. why hasnt anyone posted it on here for us dumb people to download and install :)

Although you can google for them, we can't post link to trademark software. That would be piracy.

Last edited:

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
OK, I tried it.

Downloaded both 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 from that site.

Followed your instructions - plugged it in and hit shift/restore and with both upgrade attempts the message read "the "iphone" iphone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build".

Oh, and I took my sim card out before I tried the upgrade.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3GS not 3G - am I still OK without having to go into recovery mode or DFU?

Also - one final question - the SHSHs on my iphone Cydia for 3.1 to 3.1.3. Should I not download them rather than the firmware from the felixbruns page, or does it make no difference?

And if I do download my iphone's SHSHs from Saurik's server - how do I do this? I've googled and checked youtube and can find no reference to it.

Oops - one more question - you say "try recovery mode" if that doesn't work. What do you mean? Hold down the 2 buttons and reboot? Or is there more to it than that?

Thankyou - hopefully for the last time!
Yes. You don't have to go into DFU. As I posted earlier, in iTunes, just shift key & select custom firmware, and then, wait for iTunes to finish installing OS.

You don't ever need to download SHSH from Cydia. Just point iTunes to Cydia if you need to use them. And, they are only need if you want to install official firmware (not custom) that Apple no longer is signing. For example, Apple is only signing OS 4.0. Thus, if you want to install 3.1.3 or below, you need SHSH info.

Put into recovery mode: http://www.tipb.com/2009/01/29/iphone-101-put-iphone-recovery-mode/

Sorry, it seems like you haven't done much research and reading regarding JB / unlock. Suggest you spend the day google and reading all can about JBing, possible issues, and if there are issues, what you can do. Sleep on it. Next day, go over material again before attempting upgrading your phone.

Last edited:

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
OK, our messages crossed and I tried the upgrade to os4 which started fine and it's wiped my phone but then I got error 13. I have put the phone into recovery mode several times and repeated the process but still only get error 13 and a screen with the usb connector and itunes logo.

Believe it or not I have been researching this whole thing now for more than 6 months. My problem is when I have found some answers I haven't really understood them, this is the first time that someone has explained this to me in a way I can understand - sorry if it looks like I haven't bothered to research but really I have.

I am looking everywhere for ways to get rid of this error 13 but I can't find anything beyond going into recovery mode, and that just seems to repeat the problem.

I followed your instructions and I got the ipsw from that site. The problem seems to happen when it checks with Apple. I have a feeling I need to redirect itunes to cydia instead, but although I found the file that Saurik says needs to be changed to do that, I can only open it as a text file and it isn't clear where/how I put in the extra line of data he suggests. Please help one more time as my iphone is now useless.

Many thanks.

lausha

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I finally got it to work on os3.1.2, which is what I wanted.

Just for the record this is how I did it:

downloaded the custom firmware (both 3.1.2 and 4) from previously mentioned site
upgraded via itunes to os4 from the firmware
phone became brick
followed the advice from Saurik and added extra code to the hosts file
upgraded via itunes (now connecting to Saurik's server not Apple) to os3.1.2 from the firmware
phone now capable of emergency calls only
jailbroke the phone with redsn0w
unlocked it from Cydia with ultrasn0w

Thanks again for all your help

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73