Quick Questions Regarding 3.1.2 3GS Jailbreak

Meinbeast

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3GS 3.1.2 jailbreak and wanted to upgrade to 4.0. I no longer want to keep my jailbreak. If I simply update to 4.0 on itunes will that fix everything or do I need to do something to remove blackrain/cydia and all that stuff from my iphone.

Sorry im new to this just want to make sure if I simply update from itunes that it wont mess up my phone..

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You have to give it a bit of time to get answers. You can simply do an update, Jailbreak is just a hacked firmware so by reloading the firmware you are removing the Jailbreak. It's like loading Vista fresh over a cracked Windows XP installation. You should do a sync and backup before you do the restore, then hit restore to restore your phone to factory settings it should automatically upgrade the phone to the latest firmware. You should make sure you also have the newest iTunes version 9.2 After the restore and upgrade you'll be asked whether to set the phone up as new or restore from a backup. The opinions are split on this, some say setting it up as a new phone removes possible problems. I have always restored from a backup on my phone and have never had above average problems so choose the one you prefer.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You should do a sync and backup before you do the restore, then hit restore to restore your phone to factory settings it should automatically upgrade the phone to the latest firmware. You should make sure you also have the newest iTunes version 9.2 After the restore and upgrade you'll be asked whether to set the phone up as new or restore from a backup. The opinions are split on this, some say setting it up as a new phone removes possible problems. I have always restored from a backup on my phone and have never had above average problems so choose the one you prefer.

He does NOT want to restore from a backup if he wishes to remove all traces of the jailbreak.

If he restores from a backup, carrier name changes, numeric wifi, other minor things will remain

Meinbeast

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I did when jailbreaking my iphone was use winter board to change my icons and backrounds and what not. I did not do anything like download apps from cydia, carrier changes or whatever numeric wifi is.

Also the only problems that would happen is if I need to take it to the apple store for anything correct? If I had to I could simply go through the same process again and restore the iphone and clear everything right?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
He does NOT want to restore from a backup if he wishes to remove all traces of the jailbreak.

If he restores from a backup, carrier name changes, numeric wifi, other minor things will remain

I presented him w\ both options and it's his choice. A few little naming items doesn't have anything to do with a Jailbreak. The point is to be able to run non-sanctioned apps and to customize the phone so if you can't do that it aint jailbroken.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73