ios4 update vs restore?

mosec

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If I'm jailbroken on my 3gs, should I just update to ios4 or restore and set up as a new phone? What will happen to my camera roll photos if I set up as a new phone?

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
You don't have any choice (from what I know) to just upgrade a jailbroken phone.
You have to set it up as a new one, do the update, and then re-jailbreak it.

We have a jailbreak forum on here. You'd have better luck asking your question there.

Jailbreak Forum

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
No you should do a restore. I've seen some bloggers saying you should have gone ahead and restored to 3.13 tonight in preparation for iOS4 tomorrow then you could just do an update.

The guy that created that Spirit jailbreak is telling everyone NOT to upgrade over the jailbreak. So, you want to heed his warning and Apple's. Do a restore to the new iOS4 not and upgrade! Then set it up as a new phone! This way you'll have a problem free setup.

Apple has warned that upgrading over a jailbreak could cause your phone to become bricked! I know you don't want that!

OTACORB

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
ok so my last back up has my phone with the jail break on it. how do i get it clean before the update? 3gs is what i got. And what should i do with my pictures? plug in my phone and copy them to a folder? im on a pc by the way. i want this to go smooth any help would be great thanks.

mosec

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
ok so my last back up has my phone with the jail break on it. how do i get it clean before the update? 3gs is what i got. And what should i do with my pictures? plug in my phone and copy them to a folder? im on a pc by the way. i want this to go smooth any help would be great thanks.

My thoughts exactly!
I have a jailbroken ios 4 GM on my 3GS.
Is it safe tu restore from backup or should I set up as a new phone?

Bionicspyder

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You don't have any choice (from what I know) to just upgrade a jailbroken phone.
You have to set it up as a new one, do the update, and then re-jailbreak it.

We have a jailbreak forum on here. You'd have better luck asking your question there.

This IS the Jailbreak forum.