Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

75 Posts

Default Best thing to do to sell my JB 3gs

OK, so I, along with tons of others, plan to sell my 3gs in order to get the new 4. I am jailbroken with Spirit. What is the best way to wipe everything and sell it. I just want to make sure everything is off of there. Should I go through settings->general->reset? Or do I restore as a new phone through Itunes? I'm not too concerned with leaving the jailbreak and selling it that way, since I am more concerned about completely wiping it for security. Is there any thing I need to worry about since I am jailbroken? Like will it crash doing a reset?

Then again if I do a reset, will that wipe everything (email accounts, calendars, apps, itunes login, etc.) but leave it jailbroken? What is the best way? Thanks.
    iMore Genius

3,420 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,305 Global Posts

Ur best bet is to do a restore thru iTunes. That will completely wipe the device and put it back to factory settings, as if right out of the box. Then u can rejailbreak with www.spiritjb.com. Hope this helps.
    iPhone Newbie

36 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I'm also thinking about selling my 3gs and getting an iPhone 4. I would think that a factory reset would be best. Wouldn't the new owner want to jailbreak it himself? I think that if I were to buy an used iPhone I would want to reset every thing to factory specs, and then modify it as I wanted. If I didn't have the necessary knowledge to do so, then what am I doing trusting someone else with my phone, contacts, email, and possibly even financial data? Just asking
    iMore Elite

2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,455 Global Posts

If you are on 3.1.2 and jailbroken, the real appeal is the fact that the phone is unlockable as well.
    iPhone Intermediate

173 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts

Hopefully the Dev Team will have released the unlock for 3.1.3 around the time of iPhone 4's release though...