What happens to 'MyWi' with Official Tethering Coming?

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Ii hope that you are right. One would not believe it from this forum. Since I have had it with the "steaming pile of failure," I really hope you are right.

i been thru the worse of worse when it comes thru JBing and i still havent bricked it yet... being me, i love to try out new things so im always reJBing lol and (knocks on wood) still havent bricked it yet :eek:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
AT&T does not know what app you are using. That is why if you JB, you can do things that you cannot do on a straight iPhone. It is Apple that keeps you from tethering, not AT&T. They do it by not permitting you to put the app on your phone. Admittedly, they do it as an accommodation, in restraint of trade, to AT&T. I cannot understand how they keep the FTC off their backs.

Incidentally, on another thread, it says that the iPhone will not tether over WiFi but rather over a wire to a PC. That is how they keep you from tethering an iPad. PDANet looks to the iPad like any other wireless access point.

very well said explanation. thank you

on another side note; i never thought i'd see the day whmurray would even ponder the thought of jailbreaking. that steaming pile must be getting more foul than we had thought

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
very well said explanation. thank you

on another side note; i never thought i'd see the day whmurray would even ponder the thought of jailbreaking. that steaming pile must be getting more foul than we had thought

hahaha X2!! U kno sh*t is "F"ed up when WHMurray is looking to JB lol :eek:

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
It is Apple that keeps you from tethering, not AT&T. They do it by not permitting you to put the app on your phone. Admittedly, they do it as an accommodation, in restraint of trade, to AT&T. I cannot understand how they keep the FTC off their backs.

What? Apple allowed tethering with 3.0, AT&T is the one that doesn't (didn't) allow it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What? Apple allowed tethering with 3.0, AT&T is the one that doesn't (didn't) allow it.
Not in the AT&T service area. Show me the app. Jailbreak and not only can AT&T not stop you, they cannot even tell that you are doing it.

I grant you that it is AT&T's policy but Apple is the enforcer.

What is your point?

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Not in the AT&T service area. Show me the app. Jailbreak and not only can AT&T not stop you, they cannot even tell that you are doing it.

I grant you that it is AT&T's policy but Apple is the enforcer.

What is your point?

I don't think I have point really. Your comment didn't sound right to me. Most if not all other carriers around the world allow tethering with iPhone os 3.0 while AT&T doesn't allow it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't think I have point really. Your comment didn't sound right to me. Most if not all other carriers around the world allow tethering with iPhone os 3.0 while AT&T doesn't allow it.
Agreed but Apple is the enforcer. Without Apple, AT&T is toothless.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Apple wanted iPhone users to be able to tether in 3.0. It was AT&T who stopped them, remember the exclusive contract

Did you read what I wrote? What is your point? Do you believe that AT&T can restrict tethering without Apple's cooperation? What Apple "wants" is irrelevant; it is what Apple does that counts.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
its going to be like paying $45 for 2 GB of data per month... thats a bunch of crap!

I will pay $30 and be JB to tether and keep my unlimited data. Now thats kool!:cool:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
its going to be like paying $45 for 2 GB of data per month... thats a bunch of crap!............
We say, "Steaming pile of failure." Of course, this is another case of AT&T talking about a product or service that they are not taking orders for.

As to the price, in practice it will be worse than you suggest. You will pay $45- per month for a maximum of 2GB per month, whether you use it or not. In my experience, tethering is something that one does in fits and starts. After a recent storm, my cable was out for eight days. I ran four computers over my MiFi card. Needless to say, I blew away my max. I use it heavily when I travel but I often go weeks without using it at all.

Quite candidly, I do not understand AT&T's reasoning on this. I cannot imagine anyone paying this price. Anyone who really needs tethering is well advised to JB. Anyone who does not really need to tether would be crazy to pay the price.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
@whmurray

Another reason I'm SOOO glad I'm keeping my unlimited plan and dropped $10 for MyWi. AT&T is crazy to think anyone will pay double for the same data they already pay for.

Kman

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I can see no way that ATT can detect you using MyWi and charge you because it would violate their terms of use. If you want to be safe, you can make sure that you wont get charged by doing the following:

Go to restrictions
Disable the ability to purchase tethering, extra data, etc.

MyWi will still work and you cannot get charged

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I can see no way that ATT can detect you using MyWi and charge you because it would violate their terms of use. If you want to be safe, you can make sure that you wont get charged by doing the following:

Go to restrictions
Disable the ability to purchase tethering, extra data, etc.

MyWi will still work and you cannot get charged
Surely these things are not on by default?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen