This is why I ....

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I've never accurately been able to articulate why I risk the brick mode on my 3gs until now. From Gizmodo comes this:

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

some of us have been doing this for free for quite a while now. I for one refuse to pay the extra fees!!!

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got the AT&T app so I dan actually see hat my usage is. I'm on day 2 of 30 for the billing cycle and I already have used 334.84mb of data..? Could that be right? Looks like i'm sticking with what I got

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Remember there are alot of apps that use data constantly, that's why all iPhones require unlimited data plans. Thank GOD for that.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
True...

Remember there are alot of apps that use data constantly, that's why all iPhones require unlimited data plans. Thank GOD for that.

I'm a heavy data user, and there isn't a 15 min period that I'm not on the data connection for something (in both handheld and tether form factors). When I read this article yesterday, I first called AT$T to confirm that I didn't have to switch (I don't yet), and to get my average usage.

For the past three months I haven't averaged or peaked above 2 gb. I was rather disappointed with myself, like going to a Chinese buffet, I like to get my money's worth out of the data plan. Now I'm no bandwidth hog, but for the extra 5 bucks, I'll stick with the 5gb cap. I just like the security blanket I guess.

What really gets my hackles up is the charge for tethering. I'm a capitalist, and I understand that corporate greed is good (for the corporation), but really 20 EXTRA dollars just for the dubious privileged of data to my computer. I'm pretty sure (and correct me if I'm wrong) that other platforms (BB and android) have tethering free with their data plan.
This is getting to be like Verizon in like 2000-2002ish when Blue Tooth technology was brand new.

The Big V had disabled Blue Tooth serial connections and object push "for security reasons" on dumb phones (They actually didn't laugh when they said that, I was impressed). It just so happened that they had the "MyVZW" system gouging users to move pics out of their phones and putting ring tones in. All of which could have been done for free with BT. They treat us like idiots, then make it out like its a big effort to turn on features which are already built into the phone. Then they charge us out the ar$e for it.
Ok OK... sorry *Deep Breath* I get so frustrated with the providers sometimes.
</rant>

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
AT&T also charges BB's $$ to tether, nothing is free anymore ;). Thats why I just JB my phone and paid $10 for MyWi and get to tether. I'm not paying extra $$ for a tethering plan that I already pay for data. They are just charging me twice for the same data, no thanks. I'll keep my $30 unlimited plan and not worry about any overages EVER

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have never done the JB thing and was really hoping this new round of improvements would eclipse any need, but I'm beginning to come around. Charging me $20 for the privilege of using data that I already paid for any way I choose is going to do it for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711