Extremely Long Backup Process

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ever since the newest iTunes version was released I've had excruciatingly slow backups when syncing. I have yet to finish a backup because I've never been able to allow it to go it's full process because it takes so long. I started a backup over two hours ago and it's still about 1/6th of the way done.

backupstatus.jpg

I've disabled the automatic backup when syncing to avoid the long delays, but I should keep a backup of some sort in case the inevitable happens. I can't believe it should be taking this long, though. Anyone else have a long backup?

Not that it matters, but I've got a 32GB 3Gs running 3.13 jailbroken with Spirit. My camera roll is empty and I have about a dozen contacts and a couple dozen bookmarks. That's it other than app data that's saved with the specific apps. The backups never took this long with the other versions of iTunes.

Mike

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I went to bed and woke up at 5:00am, just about 12 hours after starting the backup, and it was still going. It finally finished around 6:30am. 13 hours to backup!

I guess I'll do a manual backup twice a month just to be safe and continue to skip the automatic backup while syncing.

Mike

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Here's a post from iphonealley.com that offers a suggestion to solve this problem which I notice on my iPad. I haven't tried this yet, so proceed with caution.

(quote)

Possible Fix for Slow iPhone, iPad Backup (Updated)
Submitted by Darren Beckett on May 15, 2010 - 12:23pm.
in

* backup
* iPad
* iPhone
* iPod touch

iphone-backup.jpg

If your iPhone or iPad is set to sync automatically when you plug it into your computer, you likely noticed it always performs a backup before syncing. Sometimes, the backup takes an extremely long time. We have found a solution that fixes most of the backup issues in iTunes.

The few steps below involve deleting your backup file in iTunes, so we recommend before you do this, make a copy of that backup file.

In iTunes, go into the settings and click on the Devices icon. There you should see your device listed under "Device backups". If you have more than one item listed, make a note of the date and time of the device backup that matches the device you are having trouble with. This will help us know which backup to make a copy of before we start removing files.

If you are using Windows, backup files are located here:

c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Mac users will find backup files here:

USERNAME\Library\Application Support\MobileSync\Backup

In the backup folder, you will see one or more folders with a ridiculously long name, like 6de624828c9d586e1f088f932798039e57e2af7c. This is the backup file for your device. To determine which folder is the correct backup file for your device, match the date and time of the folder with the date and time you took note of above. Once you are sure you have the correct backup file, copy the folder to your desktop.

Once you have made a copy of the file, return to iTunes, go back into settings and click on the Devices icon again. In the "Devices backups" list, click on the device backup for your device, then click the "Delete Backup" button.

When this is complete, reconnect your device and allow iTunes to make a new backup. The new backup should complete much faster than before. If anything goes wrong, you can move the copy of the file on your desktop back to your backup folder.

Update: A tip was sent in that said there is a possible bug in iTunes 9.1.1 (11) that causes slow synchronization. If you re-download iTunes from the Apple site, you get version 9.1.1 (12) which supposedly solves the problem. We have not had a chance to test this, so if anyone was able to confirm this fix works be sure to let us know in the comments.

(end quote)

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I tried another backup overnight and this time after 13 hours I was still at about 60% complete. It seems to be only getting worse.

Mike

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I've only ever had this problem on Windows sorry no solution :( it was on my 1st gen which I gave to my GF who syncs 1ce a year to tell u what kind of user she is :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234