HOW TO: Custom SMS Tones for FREE!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Create your own, same as you create any ringtone. There are even 2 huge threads for sharing ringtones, and several discussing the best ways to make them.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Wow, it was a little effort since I don't know much about SSH, but after I got that up and working, it was super easy. I love the way they explained it so you can just disable the theme in winterboard. That's nice so I can make the switch back quickly.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the guides both of you! Will this work on new mail tone? (obviously the file paths will be different I can figure those out for my self) but will the rename/ replace scheme work for the tone?
Thanks!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the guides both of you! Will this work on new mail tone? (obviously the file paths will be different I can figure those out for my self) but will the rename/ replace scheme work for the tone?
Thanks!

Absolutely. :)

Want me to give you the exact name? (And it goes in the same folder/filepath as the SMS tones, FYI)

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, this works for iOS4 on the iPhone 3G, 3G, and 4. I'm personally using it on 4.0.1, on ALL THREE of the phones I mentioned above, so I can verify that.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually, there's a simpler way that I've been messing with. :)

You need to create the system SMS tones. This also works with all system sounds.

SSH into your themes folder (/Library/Themes), and create a folder. It can be called anything. I call mine "Custom UI Sounds).

So the path should read:
/Library/Themes/Custom UI sounds

Once again, that's just an example of a folder.

INSIDE the folder you created, create another folder called "UISounds". So the path should read:
/Library/Themes/Custom UI Sounds/UISounds

in this folder, place all the system sounds you created. They must be named correctly though, so if you want to "replace" a SMS tone, you need to name it "sms-received1.caf" - "sms-received5.caf". (It allows me to rename the 1st one)

Then, respring.

Open Winterboard. Enable your new "Theme" (Custom UI Sounds).

Respring.

Voil?. :)

All sounds are overridden by Winterboard. :)

Thanks a million for the detailed step-by-step guide. Unfortunately, I have been trying to get it to work without much success. :(

As background, I jailbroke the phone and have OpenSSH installed. I prepared the 6 SMS tones using the process you described (converted them from MP3 to ".aif," then renamed them ".caf"

I have a MAC so I used CyberDuck instead of WinSCP. I went into the "stash" folder then "themes."

I created subfolders within "stash" that read as follows: /Library/Themes/Custom UI Sounds/UISounds

I loaded my 6 custom SMS tones, named "sms-received1 - 6.caf" into the "UISounds" subfolder.

Then, I disconnected from CyberDuck and opened Winterboard.

I put a check mark next to "Custom UI Sounds" and hit respring. THEN nothing.......I still see only the original 6 tones. Does having BiteSMS installed interfere with this procedure?

Am I missing a key app or something?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It should go into your already existing Library/Themes folder, not stash. In other words, the file path looks wrong--open up your filesystem and look for the Library folder; the Themes folder should be in that. (If you have Winterboard installed, it should already have some themes inside of it.) Inside of that Themes folder, create the Custom UI Sounds/UISounds folder, then carry on as above.

Reactions: tourstagefan

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It should go into your already existing Library/Themes folder, not stash. In other words, the file path looks wrong--open up your filesystem and look for the Library folder; the Themes folder should be in that. (If you have Winterboard installed, it should already have some themes inside of it.) Inside of that Themes folder, create the Custom UI Sounds/UISounds folder, then carry on as above.

Ok, will try that. Thank you!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Everything looks good it should work. I have BiteSMS and the sounds in my themes all work. I will check my setup once I get to work(I checked and it should work). I just wanted to ask if you have BiteSMS why not just use that for the text tones? You can set them under settings by using iTunes tones or something like that. It will offer you the custom ringtones you have. So what I do is get my m4r files and I rename them once they are in iTunes to have SMS at the end of the name so I can differentiate from actual ringtones.

Actually now that I think about it you need to check two things. If you want to find out easily if it's bite disable it and send a test text. Then go into Bite and go into the settings. When you install it Bite assigns the current ringtone to your most texted peeps. You will see a list of people just swipe to the right and delete. This just clears them from whatever tone has been assigned. Just make sure you're in the settings of Bite. You can also check Bite to see what tone it has set as default.

Last edited:
Reactions: tourstagefan

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I put a check mark next to "Custom UI Sounds" and hit respring. THEN nothing.......I still see only the original 6 tones. Does having BiteSMS installed interfere with this procedure?

Dumb question, but did you actually listen to the tones after you activated the UISounds theme? Because the names won't change, just the sounds. Bite won't matter, I've done this exact thing with Bite installed and it works fine.

One other thought--I don't use ToneFX; it is possible you need to reset it to use the new tones (either by reselecting them or rebooting maybe)? Just a thought.