iPhone won't turn on- please help

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3G iPhone running 3.1.2 firmware jb with redsn0w.

I was using safari today and when I closed it, the status bar was gone and the phone appeared frozen. I was able to power it off, but when I attempted a restart the apple boot logo appears for about 5 seconds, then the phone turns off.

When I plugged it in iTunes didn't recognize it (though I don't know if that's normal). I've tried gettin it to go into DFU mode a few times without any success.

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you're doing the dfu mode properly? Alot of people can't figure it out or do it incorrectly.

Press and hold the sleep and home buttons until it restarts - keep holding until the apple logo disappears, then release the power button but keep holding the home button. Upon successful entry to dfu mode a windows pc should popup with a "found new hardware: iPhone (DFU) apple iPhone" bubble.

Your screen should appear to be off but it is on - nothing should be in the screen or logos.

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you're doing the dfu mode properly? Alot of people can't figure it out or do it incorrectly.

Press and hold the sleep and home buttons until it restarts - keep holding until the apple logo disappears, then release the power button but keep holding the home button. Upon successful entry to dfu mode a windows pc should popup with a "found new hardware: iPhone (DFU) apple iPhone" bubble.

Your screen should appear to be off but it is on - nothing should be in the screen or logos.

His instructions are great but if you still have problems with it look on youtube and there are people who will walk you through it..if you are a visual learner. :p

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I've gotten it into DFU before (when jail braking). I figured out that holding the home button when plugging it into the USB putts it into recovery mode too. I think I've got it worked out. It took 5 tries for the Restore to take (kept getting cannot restore error 1603), but I tried on a different computer this morning and I think I got it to restore. It says it's restoring my backup now so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the replies! I'll update this thread if the restore doesn't work.