NooB - Windows Chic - Preparing to JB :-)

calred34

May 10, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm a new 'member' to post - but I've been lurking for quite a few months ... (Alli and Lucifer you're my heros) I Love Love Love my iPhone - But, JB seems to give me that extra umph that I'm looking for ... Now that Spirit is out (Thanks so much to those that are persistent engineers) - I'm ready to make the leap. I'm trying to prepare "just in case". I've sync'd using iTunes on two computers. One has iTunes 9.0 the other has 9.1. If I can get a copy of 8.x somewhere I have another 'puter I can install that on (if needed) ... I've copied my iTunes File Explorer Folder to another location. I've captured my ECID and I think I have my SHSH Blobs (used Umbrella and AutoSHSH). I don't want to be that chic that says "oops, I didn't do all the right things and now you're going to slam me for asking for help" ... Are there any other Preparations that are recommended before proceeding? TIA Callie

And for those that will ask ... I have a 3GS 32GB - Version 3.1.3 - On AT&T not looking to Unlock

Last edited:

cgordonn

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like you have covered all the bases ( and then some ) Callie. The Spirit JB is so simple and easy, you shouldn't have any issues...maybe. The one issue I had when I JB'd my iPhone ( same as your model ) was Spirit wouldn't work on my Vista machine, even when I attempted to run it in XP mode. I was successful when I used my XP media center machine though. Good luck and happy JB'ing.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Backup your camera roll pictures and videos you've taken on your phone..

Some users have reported Spriit deleting it, or making pre-JB pics and vids taken, inaccessible.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Since you're already on 3.1.3 you don't have to worry about SHSH blobs. You can always restore to 3.1.3 nice and easy using iTunes without any modifications.

Once you jailbreak, open up Cydia and make sure you tap "Make My Life Easier". After that you never have to worry about manually getting your SHSH blobs, Cydia does it all automagically.

It's great that you've done the research, now dive on in. We're here if you have questions or problems :)

calred34

May 10, 2010
Visit site
WoW! That was So Easy and Awesome! Preparation really paid off :) I am running Windows 7 and ran Spirit in Win98 Compatibility Mode and RunAs Administrator. One other thing I did that I decided might be smart was to make sure both iTunes and iTunesHelper was stopped in Task Manager. It took me longer to exhale when i clicked Spirit than it did to run! Fun Fun Fun!!! - SBSettings-Done - WinterBoard-Done - Finding Themes-In Progress ... Thanks gang for giving me the confidence! Love Love Love Love my i Phone (JBd)!!!

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing to point out is that the "Make my life easier" is gone... not just that button (which was missing for months)... but the whole shsh blob thingies disabled in cydia lol

I just found it confusing when I was trying to save my shsh blobs because everyone's like "click the 'make my life easier button'" when saurik already removed it

It took few days of research to finally find that you gotta click the word "developing" at the bottom of the cydia homepage (although its disabled right now)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It's interesting. I keep reading of people having issues doing the Spirit jb. Yesterday I attempted to jb a student's iPhone on my desktop pc at school. It kept telling me I needed iTunes 9 installed to do it. But I have the most current iTunes installed....This is an XP computer, so no compatibility mode. I tried 3 times. Nada. Then I tried on my laptop, right next to my desktop, also on XP. Worked perfectly the first time. Very odd.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
These things are finicky at best.

I gave up trying to understand the logic, and place most of my hope in luck. *chuckle*

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77