How does the backup work for a jb phone???
sorry but i just don't get it. I didn't find an answer anywhere else. I searched for it already.
I have an iphone 3gs with fw 3.1.3 and want to jb with spirit.
1. After jb, are still all apps, sms, mails etc on my phone available or does the jb wipe the phone. I read that the jb doesn't wipe the data (previously photos but that's fixed). Is this correct?
2. This is my main question. Before jb I will backup through itunes to have a most updated backup. Now when I want to go back one day to my not jb phone, i need to restore through itunes and everything is ok. BUT can I then use my backup to get all my data back?
3. After jb the phone and connecting it to tunes will itunes not back up again and overwrite my old back up (without the jb) with a newer backup (with jb)???
4 and last: Bottom Line: how can I go back to my no jb status but still having my most recent sms,emails, contacts etc? i am just worried that I will loose all my date when I decide one day to restore to a point without jb.
I hope I could express myself and point out my main problem.
Thanks for any help.
- 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM #2
1) The jailbreak doesn't erase anything, it only adds. There was a brief instance where Spirit was deleting photos in your camera roll, but that's since been fixed with RC2. I recommend saving a backup through iTunes before jailbreaking, just to be safe though.
2) Yes, to 'erase' your jailbreak, you just restore to any official firmware. Then, you restore from backup, and all of your data/info will be there, minus your jailbreak data.
3) Your backups will always be the same. They save VERY little jailbreak data. So if you restore to stock firmware, but then restore from a jailbroken backup, you won't notice any differences.
4) Even if your jailbroken, you can still save backups through iTunes. You can be jailbroken for years, but the day you decide to go back to stock firmware, you simply restore through iTunes, then choose to restore from your most recent backup. Like I said, you shouldn't notice any differences.
you saved my day. I got it. Just a last little reconfirmation. You mean: When I restore to an official fw to wipe my jb, I can restore afterwards my data with my latest backup even if this backup was created during a jb stage? The backup would include some jb data but wouldn't effect my iphone anymore?
- 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM #4
- 05-08-2010, 02:45 PM #6