Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

55 Posts

Default Updating Jailbroken 3.1.2 3GS with blackra1n (tethered) to Spirit (non-tethered)?

So I searched most of the topics from the last week since the Spirit jailbreak came out and didn't find anything immediately obvious. However this seems like it could be a common question. I currently have a 3GS with the newer bootrom running 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n. It is tethered, and I have little to no issues. However, I would like to switch over to the Spirit jailbreak so that I can be tether free. Is there a way I can re-do the jailbreak without having to restore my iphone to OS 3.1.2 and then re-jailbreak from scratch and re-install all of my applications?

If I just run the spirit jailbreak on my phone in its current state (jailbroken with blackra1n) will it do anything?
    iPhone Intermediate

132 Posts

No, in order to jailbreak with Spirit you need to wipe the old jailbreak with a restore.
    iMore Elite

2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,455 Global Posts

In order to get rid of your tethered jailbreak, you need to restore to 3.1.3. Hopefully, you don't need to unlock, as with a tethered blackra1n jailbreak, I don't think you can upgrade to a custom firmware.