Will you Jailbreak your new iPhone 4G/HD?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Silly question...

I know that Jailbreaking an iPhone voids your warranty with Apple, but is this common practice? (ie. legal?)

It's not illegal, and yes it does void your warranty if evidence is found.

However all you have to do to hide a jailbreak is restore your phone. It's quite simple.

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
With starting this thread, I found some cool jailbreak apps like SBSettings, always saw it and had an idea of what it was but never downloaded it.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
So, how do you hide the jailbreak. I normally have someone else jailbreak for me!

You can't "hide" the jailbreak, but you can "hide" the fact it was ever jailbroken by doing a restore as new phone, and THAT will remove all traces of a jailbreak ( and possibly make the device unable to be jailbroken ).

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Surely jailbreaking is not illegal, if it needs a definition it is "modifying". A simple analogy is cars. Enthusiasts "tweak" and modify their vehicles to improve performance, but this practice is far from frowned upon.

Jailbreaking is far remote from pirating apps which is nothing less than simple theft.

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
You can't "hide" the jailbreak, but you can "hide" the fact it was ever jailbroken by doing a restore as new phone, and THAT will remove all traces of a jailbreak ( and possibly make the device unable to be jailbroken ).

So if you "hide" the jailbreak will apple or AT&T know if you take it in for repair.

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
No, they won't.
I've restored my iPhone and returned it both in person and through mail several times and they've never been able to tell it was jailbroken :)

YOU jailbroke your phone. YOU knew this voided the warranty. YOU screwed up your phone through the jailbreak. and then YOU hid from the consequences of your actions by restoring the phone to hide the fact that you screwed up. Man up and pay for your own mistakes. It's not Apples's responsibility to warranty when YOU chose to do whatever you wanted to. Jailbreak your phone if you want... it's yours to do what you want with. But if you screw up, please don't make the rest of us pay for your mistakes.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
YOU jailbroke your phone. YOU knew this voided the warranty. YOU screwed up your phone through the jailbreak. and then YOU hid from the consequences of your actions by restoring the phone to hide the fact that you screwed up. Man up and pay for your own mistakes. It's not Apples's responsibility to warranty when YOU chose to do whatever you wanted to. Jailbreak your phone if you want... it's yours to do what you want with. But if you screw up, please don't make the rest of us pay for your mistakes.

I'm sorry, are YOU paying for MY iPhone replacements? No? I actually didn't think so. Go figure.

Why don't YOU stay out of MY business? I don't care what you do with your iPhone, but I enjoy actually having added functionality that the iPhone is severely lacking when compared to other platforms, however none of the other platforms are suitable yet for me to use. So, I stick with iPhone, but I jailbreak to get multitasking and other features I listed in my original reply to this post.

Jailbreaking has never "screwed up [my] phone" once, or made it any less stable. In fact all of the hardware issues I've had were clearly no fault of mine, and I believe I am entitled to a replacement when the middle of my screen stops working, the home button stops working, vibrate button stops working, or the phone won't even accept a sim card.

My phone was screwed up by not offering functionality it was completely capable of for the past year.

/rant

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
There is absolutely no reason not to jailbreak your iPhone. Void the warranty? Who cares, Apple's warranty is non-existant anyway.

1.) Sbs Settings
2.) Real Multitasking, not app pausing like 4.0
3.) Installous
4.) USB Storage device

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry, are YOU paying for MY iPhone replacements? No? I actually didn't think so. Go figure.

Why don't YOU stay out of MY business? I don't care what you do with your iPhone, but I enjoy actually having added functionality that the iPhone is severely lacking when compared to other platforms, however none of the other platforms are suitable yet for me to use. So, I stick with iPhone, but I jailbreak to get multitasking and other features I listed in my original reply to this post.

Jailbreaking has never "screwed up [my] phone" once, or made it any less stable. In fact all of the hardware issues I've had were clearly no fault of mine, and I believe I am entitled to a replacement when the middle of my screen stops working, the home button stops working, vibrate button stops working, or the phone won't even accept a sim card.

My phone was screwed up by not offering functionality it was completely capable of for the past year.

/rant

Some people are too high and mighty, I guess that was his case. But I can vouch, my first 2 iPhones last year had to be returned, and that not even including my girlfriends. There were distorted pixels. Of course I did a fresh install and cleared away my jb, who would be dumb not to?

robertestx

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Not spending money on an app and downloading it illegally are two different things. If you don't think it's worth $15, don't buy it. But certainly don't obtain it illegally.If you need it that badly, learn to program and write your own. To me, a developers work should be compensated if I use their app. If possible, I even donate to the developer for the free ones I download.

But, to each his/her own. That's just my opinion.

I agree, if an app is overpriced, then I don't buy it. I have yet to find a single application that I cannot live without. And with a bazillion apps on the appstore and other sites, it's likely you can find an app with similar functionality cheaper, or even free.

robertestx

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
@ Jello - just for the record, I don't believe I have paid for you returning your phone. I also don't recall you saying you returned the phone because of a JB gone bad.
@ dawggg - Does IED - Intermittent Explosive Disorder mean anything to you?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@ Jello - just for the record, I don't believe I have paid for you returning your phone. I also don't recall you saying you returned the phone because of a JB gone bad.

"But if you screw up, please don't make the rest of us pay for your mistakes."

What does that sound like to you?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

did I really just read this?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73