Will Micro-Sim kill jail breaking all together?

sp33d_Dialz

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Gizmodo reported the new iPhone 4g/HD/etc has a micro-sim card instead of the one's used today in all GSM handsets. Do you guys think this is a direct move to cut off any and all attempts to take this phone on any network other than the one Apple wants you on?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
That would actually affect unlocking more than jailbreaking. Simply because no major carriers really support micro-sim YET.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it, isn't a microsim just a smaller version of what sim cards are today? Roughly the size of the gold part? Why can't I just swap out my micro sim and unlock?

Or are they built in to the G4 phones now making it a hassle to dismantle to swap out?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
As lvcifer said, this will have an impact on unlocking, not jailbreaking in general. I don't think Apple chose micro sims for this purpose, however. Smaller technology makes room for other things inside, like a bigger and second camera and more battery.

Wiltron. Yes, a micro sim is just a small sim card that can be easily removed. But you'll have issues swapping out because no other carrier uses micro sims. I dont think it'll be long before they do though.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I'm fairly certain the standard sim card (mini sim) can be trimmed down to fit a micro sim slot. All you'll need is a pair of scissors, a template, and some patience.

If the micro sim card is purely a cosmetic change then the change will probably slow down the unlocking process but not stop it all together.

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
It will be bigger than the fact that no other carrier uses micro sims, based on what Gizmodo discovered, the sim slot is inside the phone, meaning it's no longer user accessible.

sp33d_Dialz

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
It will be bigger than the fact that no other carrier uses micro sims, based on what Gizmodo discovered, the sim slot is inside the phone, meaning it's no longer user accessible.

From what I gathered from the gizmodo Article, it said that the sim card slot was on the side of the phone, but still micro to begin with, so it can be accessed. I've done a little homework on the side and I get mixed opinions on whether or not a normal sim (I.E t-mobile in the US) can be used in a micro slot. If you look at the wikipedia page the copper contacts look slightly different in size, but that may just be a bad photograph.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It will still be user accessible. And I'm sure we'll see micro sim adapters available soon. I'm planning on getting the new iPhone when it's released, but I'll still want to use my other phones when necessary. (It's still easier to use a WinPho to tether, since AT&T doesn't disable it there!)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't get it, isn't a microsim just a smaller version of what sim cards are today? Roughly the size of the gold part? Why can't I just swap out my micro sim and unlock?

Or are they built in to the G4 phones now making it a hassle to dismantle to swap out?
One can certainly take out the AT&T sim. Then what? No other US carrier offers a micro sim. There is nothing to put in. If one's device will accept only micro's then AT&T is the only game in the US, at least for now. It is unlikely that other carriers will offer them until there are phones to put them in.

Micro sims will show up in international markets first. My understanding is that LTE will use sims and perhaps micros. One would hope that LTE phones will be backward compatible to CDMA or GSM. Otherwise adoption will be very slow.

I will use my Verizon MiFi with my iPad until AT&T permits tetheriing. If that means AT&T does not get my business, so be it.

Last edited: