How to Downgrade iPhone to 3.1.2 from 3.1.3

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
How to Downgrade iPhone 3GS from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2

So I'm sure many people on the forums have updated to 3.1.3 "accidentally", so I'm going to explain how I downgraded to 3.1.2 from 3.1.3.

First you must have had 3.1.2 jailbroken and you must have allowed cydia to save your ECID previously. Most people probably have.

Right so now you need to trick iTunes into verifying your restore of 3.1.2 with a fake server. Go to C://Windows/system32/drivers/etc and right click host and open with notepad. Now at the bottom of the file add this line.
Code:
74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
Click file save, then close the window. You might not be able to select save, in this case you will need to right click the file and run as administrator.

Now download the 3.1.2 Restore file for your iPhone. I recommend downloading from somewhere such as thepiratebay as it will be faster, here is what you should be looking for depending on your iPhone. Make sure you download an .ispw file.

iPhone 3GS: iPhone 2,1 3.1.2
iPhone 3G: iPhone 1,2 3.1.2

Alright now that you have the restore, you must put your iPhone into recovery mode and restore to this file.

Recovery Mode:
There are many complicated ways of doing this, to save you trouble here is the easiest way you'll ever find. Hold the home button and plug your iPhone into the computer. Keep holding the home button until you see a connect to iTunes picture on your phone.

Restoring:
Okay so your almost, almost done. Open iTunes and you should see a pop up saying that the iPhone must be restored. Click ok and hold shift on your keyboard and click the restore button in iTunes. Now an explorer window will come up, locate the 3.1.2.ispw file you downloaded earlier and select ok. Your iPhone will start restoring to 3.1.2.

Oh Noez I got error 1015! Ok all is good, now download irecovery from this link, iHackintosh iRecovery Package for Windows & Mac.rar
and download
irecovery-0.3.2-win32.zip

Now in the first folder you will see an installer for libusb, ignore everything else and install this on your computer, you will need it to use irecovery. Now download the second and extract it also, you should get some files, copy them all to your desktop. If your on windows 7 or Vista right click irecovery.exe and open properties and choose the compatibility tab, now select windows xp sp2.

Now open the start menu on your computer and choose all programs, accessories, command prompt. Type,
Code:
cd desktop
now type
Code:
irecovery -s
It will display "]" type the following things and press enter after each.
Code:
setenv auto-boot true
saveenv
/exit

Now unplug your iPhone and hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, or until it turns off. Now hold the power button until you see the apple logo. Congratulations your now on 3.1.2! Plug into iTunes and activate!

If you need to jailbreak 3.1.2 check my guide:
http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/181573-blackra1n-rc3-jailbreak-guide-howto-4.html

Last edited:

christiansells

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
down grade

I accidently messed something up in my 3g 3.1.2 and had to restore to 3.1.3.I wonder if following procedure above will land me back where I started with no phone # or service?

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I accidently messed something up in my 3g 3.1.2 and had to restore to 3.1.3.I wonder if following procedure above will land me back where I started with no phone # or service?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you are trying to unlock then like big9erfan said you will not be able to, if you were on stock and are on your official carrier then no this will not mess up anything on your iPhone.

christiansells

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you are trying to unlock then like big9erfan said you will not be able to, if you were on stock and are on your official carrier then no this will not mess up anything on your iPhone.
I should have been a little more clear in my question.I was unlocked with Blackra1n using cydia,rock,winterboard,etc.My phone developed no service.going into general,phone,my number.There was no phone # in the box.I tried entering my # and it did not take.I did not know what else to do so I called tech support who prompted me to restore my phone to 3.1.3 from 3.1.2.can I down grade back to 3.1.2. and be back to where I was originally?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
christiansells,

You're using the wrong terminology.

UNLOCKED means that you are using the iPhone on a different carrier. For example, here in the states the iPhone is LOCKED to AT&T. In certain circumstances you can use different software packages to UNLOCK the phone to use it on TMobile ( just using the US as an example ).

JAILBROKEN means that you can run unsigned applications ( apps from Cydia for example ) on your iPhone.

Now, which do you want? Do you want to be JAILBROKEN or do you want to be UNLOCKED or both?

From the sounds of it you should be able to downgrade your 3G ( not 3GS ) and JAILBREAK again, but I don't think you can UNLOCK as the modem firmware will have been upgraded when you updated to 3.1.3.

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
LOL.I must sound just like my customers when they try to explain to me what is wrong with there cars.Jail broken is all I am looking for.
If your just trying to downgrade and jailbreak a 3G then all you need to do is restore to a 3.1.2 restore. This guide is for the 3GS. And no I'm sure it wouldn't mess up your number.

EWT

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great writeup. I had been living with 3.1.3 for a couple months after my jailbroken 3.1.2 phone locked at the apple logo, and I didn't have time to research solutions other than using itunes to put 3.1.3 on the phone (I knew I would lose my jailbreak, but I needed a functional phone). Two things I had to do in order to make it work (on a machine with Windows 7):

1. Right click notepad and click "Run as administrator" to allow me to edit the hosts file and save it in the etc folder. If you don't, it won't allow you to use the "save" command and save it directly back to the folder. Workarounds like using "save as", saving it to another folder and moving it back didn't work as it got saved as a .txt file, which didn't fool itunes into using cydia's server.

2. Right click the irecovery program and check the "Run in XP SP2 compatibility mode" before using it. Not doing so made the computer no longer recognize that the iphone was connected, and the irecovery program returned a "iphone not found message."

Great to be back to 3.1.2 and blackra1n!

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the great writeup. I had been living with 3.1.3 for a couple months after my jailbroken 3.1.2 phone locked at the apple logo, and I didn't have time to research solutions other than using itunes to put 3.1.3 on the phone (I knew I would lose my jailbreak, but I needed a functional phone). Two things I had to do in order to make it work (on a machine with Windows 7):

1. Right click notepad and click "Run as administrator" to allow me to edit the hosts file and save it in the etc folder. If you don't, it won't allow you to use the "save" command and save it directly back to the folder. Workarounds like using "save as", saving it to another folder and moving it back didn't work as it got saved as a .txt file, which didn't fool itunes into using cydia's server.

2. Right click the irecovery program and check the "Run in XP SP2 compatibility mode" before using it. Not doing so made the computer no longer recognize that the iphone was connected, and the irecovery program returned a "iphone not found message."

Great to be back to 3.1.2 and blackra1n!

Hey, thanks for clearing that up about using windows 7, I'll add this to the tutorial.

iheartvi

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
so i followed all the steps but can't seem to get it right. The last part you said was to "Plug into iTunes and activate!". What do u mean by activate? Thanks.

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
so i followed all the steps but can't seem to get it right. The last part you said was to "Plug into iTunes and activate!". What do u mean by activate? Thanks.

It means the phone activates on the sim you have, also I can confirm this works for iOS4 for people who have been jailbroken previously.

bobdole3141

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I may be doing something stupid by trying this blindly, but:

I'm using this method to try to get from 4 to 3.1.3. I have my 3.1.3 blob saved, and i have the firmware.

When i do the umbrella(latest vers)->tss->restore 3.1.3, it results in error 1500 followed by unbreakable recovery mode.

When i try the method listed here, when i do irecovery -s, it simply opens a new window then immediately closes it, i can't even read what the message it trying to tell me.

So basically i can't get out of recovery mode.

I tried the other programs too, but neither umbrella nor irecovery(latest version) can kick the phone out of recovery, and i can't follow the method described on this guide to recover because it just opens and then closes a new window immediately whenever i irecovery -s.

Anyone know a solution to that?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox