HUGE Emergency!!

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine jailbroke my iPhone 3Gs (3.1.2) with blackrain at his house because I didn't know how to. He told me not to shut off my iPhone at any cost or else I'd have to connect it back to his computer. I accidentally shut it off during a a downloaded app which forced me to reboot. Now I'm stuck at the recovery screen which shows a picture of a USB connecting to iTunes. My laptop is currently not working but it should be fixed by Sunday. On my laptop lies the iTunes which contains all of my iphone files (songs, video clips, etc). I'm currently using another friend's laptop which I'm probably not going to have access to again anytime soon.

I tried to restore my iPhone on this guy's laptop but its forcing me to update and I don't want to update to 3.1.3. I downloaded the 3.1.2 firmware file so that I could restore my iPhone to its original OS without having to update but it said "an error occured." So should I just wait a few days until I can go over to his house and he can fix it on the original computer that jailbroke my iPhone. Someone please help, what's the best way to get all of the things back (mainly my contacts)? I've backed up all of my songs.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
From what I understand, you should just have to connect to a computer and run Blackra1n again. He told you not to shut it off because it's a tethered jailbreak. Each time you reboot or turn it off, you have to connect and run BlackRa1n.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh My god!!!!! Thank you so much, I never thought it'd be that easy. I'll just download blackra1n on my own laptop (once it's fixed) and then I can download anything I want. Thanks again!!!!

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
... wow. Just. Wow.

TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys but I'm really good at conserving battery life, I don't fiddle around with the iPhone outside of my house that much anyways.

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
@ sharky.
Stick with your casemate pal, I got the air and had trouble with dropped signal strength. I googled the problem and it's a big problem with the air. also it only charges on a crappy micro USB instead of a mini (hassle, when everything else is mini and you have to go hunting a micro lead down).

keepitgreen

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, you should just have to connect to a computer and run Blackra1n again. He told you not to shut it off because it's a tethered jailbreak. Each time you reboot or turn it off, you have to connect and run BlackRa1n.

I was playing around on Cydia last night and in the middle of installing an app, my iPhone totally crashed and I had to do a reboot... No big deal i thought, but then when i went to run blackra1n to rejailbreak, I encountered the "blackra1n can't find ASL.dll" error... After a bit of Googling, I realized it was an iTunes 9.1 issue and found that some other folks were having the same problem... Here's the fix:

go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support and find "ASL.dll". right click on the file, Open With blackra1n, and you should be right as rain...pun intended...

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay, has anyone did the jailbreak with redsn0w instead? I did what Lvcifer said with blackra1n and I can't deal with having to go through blackra1n every time the battery dies or the phone needs to be rebooted. That happened to me on vacation and it's just a mess. It also froze on me several times while I was away and I was told you don't have to do all of the reboot stuff with redsn0w. Is this true?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
A tethered j/b is a tethered j/b. It doesn't matter what you use to perform the j/b - it's the bootloader that causes it to be tethered, and that you cannot change.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So in short - NO. There is no way around having to run <insert jailbreaking program of choice here> every time you run out of power or reboot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73