I need your opinion - should I fabricate a "Jailbroken iPhone Bible"?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
As many people, please answer. This is my idea -

To create a PDF document that includes all relevant guides and tutorials on how to jailbreak the iPhone by iPhone model, baseband, and firmware, and then having a troubleshooting section for every possible problem, with solutions.

Obviously, this is going to be a lot of work. I believe I can get it down to between 50-75 pages, including photos, table of contents, etc.

My question here is wether or not to attach a $1.99 price tag on it, or if I should take donations. I would also set the PDF to link directly to my dropbox account, where I would host all of the files required in order to be able to just click a link inside the PDF as well.

I know the 'proper' way to do this would to be use the donation model, however, this is seriously A LOT of work, and it will obviously need to be constantly updated. I will also need to spend a massive amount if time researching just about everything in terms of troublehooting.

So, I guess my question is this - would you guys pay $1.99 for this "Bible" in digital format, recommend it to other people, or do you think I'm being pretentious by wanting some form of compensation?

Keep this thread alive, as I would like AS MUCH POSSIBLE INPUT, both good AND bad, I want to hear it all.

Last edited:

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
1.99 for it? not bad but maybe .99 I'd buy it for sure, because I need to learn more about this stuff and the iPhone I have now came with 3.1.3 so I need something to pass the time lol.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't think 1.99 is bad at all. I agree donations are the more popular way of spreading stuff like that online, but how many people honestly donate for that stuff. And you're right, it would take a lot of time and energy getting all that info together.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's more the issue that it would never be 'complete'. It would new to constantly be updated and tweaked as new OS's are released, and as new problems arise. That's my concern actually.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
What's up man. That's a good price for it. Hel* I'd probably get it. Once your done with it it as people get on here and you answer with your help include the link to your site as a suggestion to jailbreakers.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh yes Please!!!

I'd pay slightly more if necessary (like up to 3 bucks or so) if its done well any everything works. There's nothing wrong with some compensation and the donate links just don't work.

gurustevie

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Experienced jailbreakers probably wouldn't buy it I guess, however inexperienced people would quite likely pay 1.99 if they're convinced the information contained within can answer all of their queries. Would save trawling the net for answers.

Good luck with it if you decide to take it on :)

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I'd be willing to pay $1.99 even as High as $5.00 for it. I to am a small business owner and know the value of MY time and services. It would be a quite HELPFUL TOOL. If you decide to tackle this venture, please keep me (us) informed. Thanx

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input, guys. Keep it coming.

The unlimited update idea is a given, as if you think about it, the jailbreak community never actually stops. There are always updates, there will always be cat and mouse between Apple and jailbreakers, etc.

The reason I'm doing this is because like iGoSlo said, sometimes it's just a pain in the ass to go and spend ridiculous amounts of time researching some obscure problem.

Obviously, I won't be able to list each and every problem because some issue. Are completely user created - for example, many people who have Cydia and Rock installed will often times have random resprings because MobileSubstrate has a conflict with Rock Extensions, or they will wonder why their phone is acting funny when they just installed 25 different tweaks without fully understanding what they do, etc. But for the most common problems, and troubleshooting, this would mainly be a 'one stop shop' of information specific to the iPhone, jailbreaking and problem solving.

So far the input is good, guys, keep it coming. :)

keepitgreen

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I personally wouldn't buy one, because I (perhaps a little masochistically) enjoy the painful/frustrating searches through forums, blogs, etc. I always end up learning something completely different than what I was searching for in the first place, and eventually find what i was looking for in the end. However, that's just me. I'm sure there are lots of others out there who would really appreciate the effort and it would save them a lot of time.

One thing that I think is important is the post-jailbreak maintenance. As in "How to clean up the mess you've made after installing 500apps and an equal number of tweaks, add-ons, and themes"...

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I guess I'm like most JB'ers... The challenge...BUT it's nice to have some reference points... I try to keep a log of issues I tackle and achieve. It's becoming to DA** difficult to remember ALL the little tweeks...

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a good idea and would be a bargain at $5 . . . but keep it cheap anyway.

Just know that piracy WILL happen. Almost immediately after you publish this a bunch of smucks will start selling the IDENTICAL thing on ebay. You may want to contact ebay and see what it will take to establish yourself as the only authorized seller. But it will likely be up to you to monitor the other sellers and inform ebay of violations.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Oh, trust me, I know that the piracy will definately be an issue. However, then it will only be an issue of me
pushing out updates to those who made the donations via either their e-Mail addresses or their paypal transaction ID's, or something like that.

mysterio

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a good idea and would be a bargain at $5 . . . but keep it cheap anyway.

Just know that piracy WILL happen. Almost immediately after you publish this a bunch of smucks will start selling the IDENTICAL thing on ebay. You may want to contact ebay and see what it will take to establish yourself as the only authorized seller. But it will likely be up to you to monitor the other sellers and inform ebay of violations.

If people can't even jailbreak their iPhones, I doubt they'd be smart enough to think of pirating the doc. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner