Question about Jailbreaking my Iphone

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Today I purchased my first apple product (up until now I've been using MP3s).
I'm completely new to how these things work so please bare with my ignorance. I have purchased a 16gb 3G Iphone today. There was a topic saying that 3.13 or some number like that cannot be jailbroken. I'm not sure if that is my version nor do I know how to check the specific version of my Iphone. What is the best and quickest way to jailbreaking my Iphone 3G without using itunes. I have Windows by the way. Thanks in advance!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, first things first, here is jailbreaking 101.

Jailbreaking allows code not sanctioned by Apple to be placed on your phone. What does that mean? Third party applictions can make your iPhone do some wicked sh*t.

Unlocking is when you want to use your phone on a GSM carrier other than the official one your phone came with. An example of this would be as follows: In the US, the iPhone is locked to AT&T. Unlocking allows people to use the iPhone on T-Mobile, usually for much cheaper than they would pay on AT&T.

Now, each OS ("operating system") is also known as a 'firmware'. This is way your iPhone uses to operate. Every OS is unique, and requires a DIFFERENT tool to jailbreak it. Each OS updates the baseband. The baseband is what locks you to the offiial carrier. Each baseband requires a different tool to unlock it. So in essence, every OS that is updated or released requires (2) tools - the jailbreaker, and the unlocker.

3.1.3 is the OS that is current. It cannot be unlocked, but CAN be jailbroken on the original iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and older versions of the 3G.

In order to see which OS your iPhone is currently running, go to Settings>General>About on your iPhone, and look under the section titled "Version". That will tell you which OS you are running. At the very bottom of that same list, there is a section called "Modem Firmware". This is your baseband.

Now, if you wish to jailbreak only, and stay with your official carrier, you can do that, and I'll help you through it.

Keep in mind, this is essentially hacking your iPhone, and some times, mistakes can be made, and things can go horribly wrong. Don't panic. It's actually VERY hard to 'brick' (disable/ruin/destroy) these things. Research what you would like to do in detail, preferably BEFORE attempting this. Be prepared with some fixes, just in case something goes wrong.

Now, hopefully, I've given you an understanding of what you're getting into. Keep in mind, I am only trying to help, and just to cover my ass, you do this at your own risk. You know what could potentially happen. The good news is that I'm here to help if anything goes wrong. :)

So, what would you like to do? Jailbreak only? Or jailbreak and unlock?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
One more thing...if you just purchased your first iPhone today...use it for a few weeks without thinking of jailbreaking. You don't yet know what it can do on its own, or have reason to want to jailbreak.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot LVCIFER. I only want to Jailbreak it at the moment, as for the carrier, I'm fine with my current one for now. Thanks to your instructions, I now know that my OS is: 3.1.2 (7D11). My modem firmware is: 05.11.07. I don't know how to handle the iTunes on my computer so when it comes to getting music, I stick to (I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the program's name on these forums. Lets just say it's a "citrus" program). I've tried googling my situation but there seems to be a lot of options when it comes to Jailbreaking my iPhone and I don't know which one to go with. By the way, I'm aware of the risks of this, I've dealt with a very similar situation with my PSP, and I wouldn't ever consider you responsible if something were to go wrong.

Edit: Alli, thanks for your suggestion but a lot of my friends have an iPhone and I'm aware of its capabilities without being jailbroken.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, then here is a cut and copy I've done in the past on a quick guide for how to jailbreak your iPhone 3.1.2. I know that you said that you have a 3G, the guide is for a 3G. That makes no difference, as the process is EXACTLY THE SAME for both models. So here you go:

3.1.2 3G JAILBREAK/UNLOCK

First things first, you THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE 3.1.2 installed on your phone. NOT if you have downgraded, not if you currently updated to 3.1.3, nothing. You need 3.1.2 installed previously on your 3G or it frankly won't work.

Go to blackra1n.com and download blackra1n.

Now, after you restore from iTunes, when everything is about 98% done, it will ask you to insert the SIM card that came with your phone from AT&T. If you have AT&T, great. If you don't, a/k/a T-Mobile, INSERT THAT SIM CARD, and then follow these instructions.

Open up blackra1n on your PC, and then click "Make it rain" and jailbreak your phone. This will also 'hacktivate' your phone with your alternate SIM card. (Note: follow directions at the end of this post to fix Push Notifications, YouTube and Wi?Fi for hacktivated iPhones)

YOU MAY NEED TO ATTEMPT THIS MULTIPLE TIMES FOR IT TO WORK CORRECTLY. Sometimes there are minor errors. Let it do it's thing. It is okay and even somewhat expected.

Once blackra1n.app is installed to your springboard (a/k/a iPhone home screen), choose to install "sn0w" (a/k/a blacksn0w) from your iPhone. Once again, make sure it that you connect to Wi?Fi first. It will be the only way you can install Cydia/Rock if you're not on AT&T.

1) Open up the "blackra1n.app" on your iPhone.
2) Tap on "sn0w" until a green check mark appears next to it.
3) Tap "install".
4) Watch for the splash screen telling you that it was successful.
5) Turn your iPhone off.
6) Insert your SIM card.
7) Turn the iPhone back on.

After installing sn0w, install Cydia.

1) Open up the "blackra1n.app" on your iPhone.
2) Tap on "Cydia" until a green check mark appears next to it.
3) Tap "install".

Cydia will ask you questions, and to update. Select "Graphical User", and "Complete Upgrade". Let it restart and reboot. Once it does it's thing...

-OPTIONAL-
If you have data or MMS problems with ANY carrier, you may want to google or wikipedia "iPhone APN Settings" to find a way to fix those issues. However, if the plan for the cell carrier SIM card you've inserted does not include data, then your Internet/e-Mail/maps/gps etc won't work. You will have to add data/MMS to that SIM cards plan for them to officially work.

Voil?. You're updated, jailbroken, and unlocked on 3.1.2.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
For some, the new blackra1n HACKTIVATED jailbreak was causing problems with Wi-Fi, YouTube, and Push Notifications. Here is a quick guide on how to fix these problems.

Wi?Fi
1. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, then click "OK"
2. Reboot your iPhone, when it comes back on Wi?Fi should be fixed, but next time you reboot you have to do this again.

YouTube and Push Notifications for "hacktivated" iPhones.

1. Go to Cydia
2. Search for "PushDoc" or "Push Doctor".
9. Install then confirm
10. Reboot your iPhone.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Since you have a 3G, ignore all instructions mentioned about a tethered jailbreak. Tethered jailbreaks only apply to the 3G.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, you went through a lot of effort. I use Fido, not At&T or T-mobile. Before I begin this procedure, I noticed that you said, "This will also 'hacktivate' your phone with your alternate SIM card." I don't have an extra SIM card. I just have one that is already inserted into my phone but you said to insert the SIM card multiple times. Despite how confusing all this seems at first, it should work as long as I follow every step correctly, right? Thanks in advance!

Edit:

There are actually several things I don't understand.

"Now, after you restore from iTunes, when everything is about 98% done,"

What do you mean by "restore" from iTunes? Sorry but I don't have a clue as to what that means.

"when everything is about 98% done, it will ask you to insert the SIM card that came with your phone from AT&T. If you have AT&T, great. If you don't, a/k/a T-Mobile, INSERT THAT SIM CARD, and then follow these instructions. "

How do I get to 98% completion? My SIM card was immediately inserted upon purchase, does this mean up until this point I was supposed to have left it out? I use Fido, not AT&T or T-MOBILE, do these instructions still apply to me?

"Open up blackra1n on your PC, and then click "Make it rain" and jailbreak your phone."

I just tried that step first and it just kept saying: "waiting for device..." even when my iPhone was connected.

"This will also 'hacktivate' your phone with your alternate SIM card"

I don't have any alternative SIM card.

"6) Insert your SIM card. "

My SIM card was supposed to be inserted earlier, why do I have to insert it again?

"Cydia will ask you questions, and to update."

Is it safe to update?

Do you think you can explain iTunes for me please, it seems to have many functions. When people say "iTunes", are they referring to the one on my PC or the one on my Iphone?

Sorry to be so picky, I'm just really confused.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If you're staying with the official iPhone carrier, in your case Fido, then you don't need to use any other SIM Card card. iTunes will activate your phone automatically.

Just follow the directions to jailbreak, and ignore hacktivating or alternate SIM Card steps.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I edited when I should have just posted, and I took too long. Which particular steps apply to my situation? Can you just copy and paste the segment that applies to me please? I still don't understand how iTunes work either or whether it means my PC's iTunes that can be transferred to my Iphone or simply my Iphone's iTunes.

Edit:

"Now, after you restore from iTunes, when everything is about 98% done"

What do you mean by this? How do I do this?

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
This is exactly why I suggested using the iPhone for a while before even attempting to jailbreak. Get used to how it works, what iTunes does, and how to do it. Then, after you know what 98% done means, go back and try to jailbreak.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but dude...have you even done the first iTunes sync with your iPhone?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
LVCIFER - thanks for taking the time to write a step-by-step guide!

Alli - you're so right. People should 'play' with their device before jailbreaking etc, etc. Now, I'm off to try and hack my 3Gs (I hope I have the older baseband).

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
No, I haven't done my first iTune sync, that's why I said that I don't know anything about the iTunes world. Must I have iTunes downloaded onto my computer? If it comes with the computer, then I don't know where to access it although there seems to be a lot of update notices for it. There isn't much I CAN do with without jailbreaking. I can take really high resolution pictures/video clips, but what's the point if I can't transfer it onto another device. I don't want to purchase songs just to "see what the iPhone can do". I can't drag and drop photos of my baby sister from my PC to set for the wallpaper of the iPhone either. The iPhone has great regular phone standard functions such as a calculator, but I want the smartphone features. My friends seem to have instant access to really cool applications. So can someone please explain what restoring and completing 98% means please? I really appreciate all of this help.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Intense666,

I lost my jailbreak due to a bad radio. I am completely stock, but this phone still does so much.

Read, create, edit documents with Docs to Go
Keep checkbook with Splashmoney
Keep track of passwords and accounts with eWallet
Keep push email with Exchange account
Notes are in sync with Outlook Notes via iMNotes
Keep track of a variety of notes with Evernote
Update my Netflix queue with iPhlix
Check out current movies with Flixster
Read books with Kindle and B&N Reader app
Current new with AP Mobile
Listen to online music with XM app, Pandora, Stitcher
Watch my TV shows from home with SlingPlayer
GPS navigation with Navigon
Track weather
and numerous more

Oh yeah, I can listen to music and watch videos via the iPod function.

So your statement "There isn't much I CAN do with without jailbreaking." doesn't make sense to me. I really miss my jailbreak, but it's not because I can't do anything, it's because there are functions I'd like to be able to do.

intense666

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks John, but believe it or not, I don't use any of those except maybe the weather one. I don't watch TV or movies very often. I do like the iPod part but each individual song costs money that costs a lot when it accumulates after the 50+ songs that I want. Thanks for the suggestion but I just want the jailbroken features.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
intense, there is no way you can do anything without syncing your iPhone to iTunes.

There are really only a few things that jailbreaking allows you to do that you can't do without jailbreaking.

What is it you want to do exactly, that you believe you can only do with a jailbroken phone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods