3rd Gen 8GB. Hackable?

Hitmanthe3rd

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
3rd Gen 8GB Itouch. Hackable?

Yeah. Iv searched the internet over and over, and cannot find a solid answer till before BlackRa1ns last post. So I'm going to ask on an active forum. Is this Jailbreakable? Wikipedia tells me I can tether it with Blackrains latest release. Is this true?

Edit: Its an Ipod Touch BTW.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Your iPhone model is wrong. If it's thethir generation iPhone, then it's the 3G. The 3G does not come in 8GB.

If it's the SECOND generation iPhone, the iPhone 3G, then that does come in 8GB.

THE 1st generation iPhone, the iPhone 2G, also comes in 8GB.

So, which model do you have?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iPod Touch 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation?

Go to Settings>General>About, and tell me the first 3 digits of the model #.

Hitmanthe3rd

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Ipod touch 3rd Generation. And I have not received it yet. Its in the mail an I should have it by monday. But I bought one wanting to Jailbreak it, and clearly didn't do enough research.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well it depends 100% on what version of the OS ("operating system") it is.

If it has 3.1.3, no, you can't jailbreak it.

IF it's on 3.1.2, then you absolutely can.

Hitmanthe3rd

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
So then I'm in luck? My 3rd Generation 8Gb Ipod Touch. IS indeed Jailbreakable!? Can I haz a link to this download I need? Or is it the most recent Blackrain, In that case I already have it.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If it's on 3.1.2 as the site said, ten yes, you're in luck. :)

you'd simply go to blackra1n and download the applcation hosted there.

You may, however, have a tethered jailbreak. Here I'd a quick cut and copy about what that is.

TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You need to be near a computer. When you turn it back on, it will give you te "connect to iTunes" screen and it won't let you have ANY access to your device until you run blackra1n again while it's connected to a computer.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The new 3G and the new iPod Touch 3rd generation have the exact same problem with the tethered jailbreak, so it's the exact same processes. :)

Hitmanthe3rd

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Im willing to give up access like that. Id charge it in the car AND every day at home. The most I need to do is 6Hrs of school and Im sure it would last that.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
No.

If it's an MC model iPod touch, it can't be jailbroken on 3.1.3.

And unles you were previously jailbroken ON 3.1.2, AND saved your SHSH hashes in Cydia, AND have your computers server/hosts file editted to point to Saurik's servers so that he can authenticate the install.

But NONE of that will downgrade your bootrom. That's a hardware issue.

A complicated one.

And just because you didn't originally get an answer that you LIKE does NOT mean you didn't get an answer. If someone tells you that you can't do it, what, you keep on going for multiple opinions until you hear one that pleases you?

Not a good idea.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And to further explain why - there are no current tools out there designed to jailbreak an iPod touch on 3.1.3.

The dev team blogs flat out tell any 3G users with the new bootrom OR the newest iPod touches with the new bootrom to STAY AWAY from 3.1.3.

The same thing with sn0wbreeze. And j can be wrong, but I believe that it's the same for PwnageTool.

As far as redsn0w and blackra1n, to my knowledge (and someone correct me if I am wrong) neither of those tools can jailbreak an iPod touch g3.

Now, as far as downgrading, unless you meet all of the requirements listed in my last post, I don't think it possible - HOWEVER, I mainly deal with iPhones, not iPods. So if anyone else has information that I'm not aware of, please help this guy out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR